Thread: Math rock fans?

Default Math rock fans?

I've been looking for mandolin covers of math rock songs and I haven't been able to find a single one. I'm wondering whether anyone here is familiar and interested in the genre and might be able to point me in the right direction.

Default Re: Math rock fans?

I have no transcriptions to offer, but I suggest you look at recordings of the League of Crafty Guitarists. '80s King Crimson with Belew and Fripp created a lot of the basis of math rock on the Discipline-era recordings, and the League came from Fripp's Guitar Craft students working in a crippled Fifths tuning he called New Standard Tuning (NST).

Additionally, Andy Summers of the Police has a teaching recording out there exploring non-standard interval chords, a lot of them fitting nicely on fifths-tuned instruments. Summers did a recording with Fripp, but the chordwork predates that collaboration. A lot of Message in a Bottle can be played by just fretting with one finger across the strings of a mandolin.

If you can find it to listen to, the title track from King Crimson's "Discipline" will demonstrate why I find most math rock to be a pale imitation of what inspired it.

Whatever path you choose to explore, good luck!
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

3. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post:

I enjoy my fair share of math rock. I listen to some Japanese math rock bands like Tricot and Jyocho, and some Western ones like battles. I'm also interested in learning how to cover some of those bands songs on mandolin, which might be an impossible task, but it would be fun anyway. I'm also a beginner, making it even harder. The only tuning I know how to do right now is standard, so I wonder how to replicate math rocks alternative tunings on mandolin. So no, I don't know how to replicate the math rock sound on mandolin, however I'm also quite interested in it.

I also found this, sounds kind of math rock-y
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-XoXjJ9csk

Here are three cuts which led me down the math rock path. I suggest enjoying them in the order given, and either on a good sound system with decent bass, or on good headphones/earphones.

Enjoy, and happy exploring!
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

7. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post:

I like some math rock but never actively tried transposing any songs. I did adapt a few licks I found interesting though