Thread: Luthier for violin/fiddle

Default Luthier for violin/fiddle

As we are cleaning out my parents' house getting it ready for sale, we found either my father's or grandfather's violin in the attic. It does not look like there is any separation between the sides and the front or back plates. I did not see the bridge in the photos and the bow looks like it need to be rehaired (correct term?) It needs some TLC and my brother is thinking of taking it to a luthier to have it set up properly and make sure it will be playable because he would like to learn.

They live around the Cherry Hill, NJ area and would like to take it to a reputable luthier. Does anyone know a luthier in that area? Thank you in advance.

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, my apologies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-bd4fc2ddc9c9594ddd1957b69af07d26-V.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	204688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-dd11127a83d37c5297e8a6a081463864-V.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	204689  
    I can only play half as much as I want, because I only play half as much as I would like.

Default Re: Luthier for violin/fiddle

Any decent violin shop can fit a new bridge and restring it. I've done a few and I'm strictly an amateur/hobbyist.

They can also rehair the bow, but for learning it may be less expensive to buy a good student quality bow. I'm clear on the other side of the country so I don't have any recommendations though.

3. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

You might want to check with local colleges or even high schools to see who works on violin family instruments for them. Better yet, if there is an orchestra anywhere nearby. Depending on the quality of the instrument you can probably get recommendations appropriate for the situation.
    From what I can tell from the pictures it looks like a student grade instrument that was at one time set up by someone competent and perhaps more of a "violin" person than a "fiddle" person.

I would take it to Wamsley Violins in Haddonfield. If not there Philadephia has more.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Adrian Minarovic

From looking at the pictures I have a feeling that it might be 3/4 size violin. That would be unsuitable for adult to play. Measure the back and if it is somewehre around 350-360mm end to end (without protruding neck button) it is full size.
    It appears to be common imported german violin. Perhaps mid 20th century.
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I would take it to Wamsley Violins in Haddonfield. If not there Philadephia has more.
    Thank you for the information. I gave that to my brother and he was saying the store is only 15 minutes from his house so he will take it there.
    I can only play half as much as I want, because I only play half as much as I would like.

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    From looking at the pictures I have a feeling that it might be 3/4 size violin. That would be unsuitable for adult to play. Measure the back and if it is somewehre around 350-360mm end to end (without protruding neck button) it is full size.
    It appears to be common imported german violin. Perhaps mid 20th century.
    I'll check and see if they can measure the back. Thank you for that bit of information, did not think about that.