Thread: what software apps do you use (for mando)?

Default what software apps do you use (for mando)?

What apps do you find helpful for playing or practice

Me
    1. Strum Machine – plays background to bluegrass songs that you can play along to. Very simple to use and has tons of songs. Allows you to change key, tempo, and allows Auto-speedup. Great practice tool I use almost every day.
    2. TuneFox – teaches you bluegrass tunes by advancing you from a simple version of the tune at low-speed to the full tune using both Tab and backing tracks. To me, this is a fun way to learn new tunes and make practicing more fun
    3. Amazing Slow Downer/AnyTune Pro – Both of these allow you to slow a song while maintaining the same pitch. Which helps you learn songs by ear. I use ASD on my PC and it works OK, but recently started using Anytune Pro on my iPad and it is cheaper and has more features. For example, it provides a graphical representation of the music which makes it easier to create loops. It also can play direct from an iTunes library.

What else is out there?

Default Re: what software apps do you use (for mando)?

I use "Ireal pro" and "transcribe!" (You need the exclamation point if you google it). Both recommended to me by Joe K. Walsh as his students use them at Berkley.

Also Magnus just had a cool video on Mandolin Secrets on using a looper for practise.

I use Band in a Box, IReal Pro and GarageBand (for recording my practice). IReal sounds much better through a Bluetooth speaker than phone or tablet.

Jack Tuttle has over 150 BIAB charts on his website, free download.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Blog Entries

I have used a number of tuning apps. I don't prefer them to the clip on tuners, but I use them in a pinch. I have messed around with the Amazing Slow Downer, but found ultimately it was no easier and more fiddly than how I have been learning tunes all these years.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I use Tabledit (paid tabbing software), Tux Guitar (free tabbing software; not as good as Tabledit but its free and compatible with GuitarPro5 files, which a lot of guitarists use), and Chordify.net ('play along' to any Youtube video; it will calculate the chords with decent accuracy).

How do you like TuneFox? I just went to their website and really like the premise, but I already pay 15 a month for so many things, its hard to justify yet another subscription. I miss the days of just buying software and owning it. Good for TablEdit for keeping this "old fashioned" pay model.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPicker View Post
    I use Tabledit (paid tabbing software), Tux Guitar (free tabbing software; not as good as Tabledit but its free and compatible with GuitarPro5 files, which a lot of guitarists use), and Chordify.net ('play along' to any Youtube video; it will calculate the chords with decent accuracy).

How do you like TuneFox? I just went to their website and really like the premise, but I already pay 15 a month for so many things, its hard to justify yet another subscription. I miss the days of just buying software and owning it. Good for TablEdit for keeping this "old fashioned" pay model.
    I really like Tunefox. For me it’s a fun way to learn new tunes. You can pick from a couple of hundred songs, many of which have easy, intermediate and advanced versions. The program starts you out with a simplified version of the song at low speed. You decide when to “step up” to more notes and higher tempos. It gives you tab and highlights the note(s) to be played. You play with a backup band and it will also play the mando parts so you know how its supposed to sound. Its also has tools to help you memorize the song. I am ok with it for $15 a month, but I understand that there are lots of great sites for $10-15 a month and that all adds up

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Drumgenius because I prefer drum machines to metronomes

Mandolin Companion is my "cheat sheet" for leads in any key https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mandol...on/id458349872

ClearTune is a great tuner for when you aren't in a situation that calls for a clip-on https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cleartune/id286799607

Free Bluegrass Backing tracks is a great site that lets you speed up/down, loop and add/subtract accompanying instruments http://www.fbbts.com/Home.html

Drone Tool site comes in handy for trying out leads in a specific key https://www.dronetonetool.com/
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

10. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

am I unusual I don't use any ?

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

guitar gravitas ( set a custom tuning for mando) and tempo + metronome

1) iReal for play along tracks

2) Not an app, but Matt Hutchinson's Bluegrass Jam Along podcast for playing along with bluegrass tunes, being able to go back and forth between melody/lead and rhythm. It's It's like having someone to play with when you don't have someone to play with.

3) Transcribe for slowing tunes down without changing the pitch.

4) Not an app but a website: Flatpick Apprentice. Has acoustic guitar backing tracks for a ton of fiddle tunes with multiple tempo options for each.

5) a +1 for the Bluegrass Backing Tracks site already mentioned.

6) Yamaha Chord Tracker. Allows you to open an mp3 file and it will show you the chords of the song.

14. The following members say thank you to mikerofone for this post:

Audacity for trimming heads and tails from multi-tune sound files, isolating the tune I want to work on. Also for slowing down if needed. Also for capturing audio from a YouTube clip.

Reaper for more advanced audio recording and editing, plugins etc.

Exact Audio Copy for ripping CD's.

Mp3tag for editing MP3 metadata.

LAME Mp3 encoder for use within the audio editors.

Foobar2000 for streaming tunes from our home media server for practice. Or just for listening to our huge music library at home as the main playback app.

MuseScore notation software for importing tunes in ABC format from thesession.org and converting to sheet music. Used for adjusting tunes to the setting played in local Irish/Scottish pub sessions. Also for printing sheet music for learning a new tune together with my fiddler Significant Other, so we're starting from the same reference point before we get off the sheet music.

All of these are free except for Reaper.

16. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

mandolintab.net

Modacity is a nice app to log your practice.

Strum Machine - really good to play along with, easy to share chord charts with another user
    iRealPro - I like the different styles - playing BigMon over a reggae beat is pretty fun, easy to share chord charts with anyone (pdf option)
    AudioStretch - I use this mostly to slow down videos
    Amazing Slow Downer - ‘nuff said
    MetroTimer - good loud no frills metronome
    ForScore - don’t use this much since I’ve moved away from paper and playing/learning mostly by ear now
    GuitarToolKit - has many functions but by far the best for me is the chord finder, I can either ask it to show me a chord or select the frets and it’ll tell me the chord, it supports many different instruments and many different tunings
    iTunes - play along or just listen
    Vidami pedal - loop and slow down videos on YT, great for working on tunes, supporting more and more websites lately - wish it would work with QuickTime Player
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7