Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loarfest for January 2023

Default Re: Loarfest for January 2023

It has been going on for over 20 years; 'not like anyone is making a secret.

I'm lucky to have been able to handle approx. 30+ Loar signed instruments over the years, but almost always individually. When you get to see this many all laid out at once, you really understand how much they vary as individuals and between batches. That room had probably $50 million worth of instruments all out in the open with people laughing and the owners were all beyond generous; 'pretty amazing. I always find it interesting that most of the nearby big name shops don't ever show up with a display table showing off what they have for sale. I suspect the prices might not live up to the expectations; most of the truly great instruments trade hands privately, not on the open market....

I keep hoping one day the Griffith Loar will show up. It has been a long time since I played it.

My biggest takeaway from the whole event is that I felt sadness for so many of those old instruments that looked like they never get played and were far too clean for 100 years old....lemme see more like this ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loarfest fern.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	446.2 KB 
ID:	205544  
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Makes me feel better about my mandolin, looks good to me.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I think we all have mixed feelings on what you've talked about. It would be better if they were played, but how many battle scars would they pick up along the way. I've let a professional person I trust take my July 9 and pick it. It's original but does show some play wear. Like the people with Stradivarius's, we're just caretakers for a while then they pass to someone else that has to make the decision on what to do with them.

Blog Entries

Personally I play my Loars, my Dec.1st 24 Virzi 5 was never played much at all when I got it, it took about a solid year of beating on it to come alive as it was seriously tight! Now the finish is getting hammered from my sweat! They're made to be played so play em and enjoy em as life is too short and nobody is promised tomorrow! If I ever got another pristine one guess what I'd play that one as well, wear and tear never bothered me and as far as value you want a pristine one , well don't play it and for this guy that's just wrong.

6. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Loarfest may be cool to mandolin nerds, but the Banjothon side of the event blows away the mandolins for number of instruments, people, and general enthusiasm!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1306.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	205779   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1307.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	205780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1309.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	205781  

www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

8. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Glad to see the yellow caution tape around those banjos.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

To answer a few questions about LoarFest East. It was added to Banjothon back about 2016 I think. Covid hit and 2 years were not held. It is a private event. Your best way to get invited is bring a Loar or other prewar F5,H5,K5 and even L5. Some odd balls are allowed such as the 1928 long neck F4, the F4 with no points, etc. and someone mentioned Dempsey Young's old Hutto Fake Loar was welcomed for display. Some are for sale by owners or dealers. I know this year we had the Late Herschel Sizemore collection being sold by the family and Tony Williamson of Mandolin Central of NC had a few to sale. CJ Lewdowski brought the infamous "Greek" Loar for display. We had many that made their debut this year.
    I'm surprised the big wheels like Carter's and Gruhn's don't show up to display those they have for sale. Another way to get in to this private gathering of banjo/mandolin/herringbone collectors and pickers is get invited by someone you know is going. Instruments are put on display and you must get permission from the owners to pick on them. Most do allow it. There was at least one owner I know was there who did not display his. I guess he didn't want to stand over it and seemed to have more interest in the banjos this year. It's like going to that covered dish supper at the Church. If you can't bring a dish for all to share, you will feel out of place and somewhat guilty if you eat food others brought when you knew you were suppose to bring something for all to share. There is a small vendor room that showcases new instruments. Randy Wood and Greg Rich had vendor tables this year and a few others. It's always the 2nd Sat. in Jan. held at the Crowne Plaza in downtown Knoxville. Special room rates can be had by those on the email list. It is not opened to the general public. Armed security guards are on hand watching your every move. It is a one day event on Sat. from about 8am to 6pm. Picking in the rooms and hallways goes on Friday and Saturday nights. Everyone goes home Sunday morning. While Mike Johnson is the main guy for Banjos, Darryl Wolfe is the main guy for the Loars. Darryl was sick this year and did not attend and I was put in charge of setting up the Loars and help co-ordinate the event.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Thanks for posting this helpful understanding of this gathering. Hope to attend in 2024. Best, Sam

Any Loar owners that need to know more about the next LoarFest in Jan. 2024 let me know and I can help set you up with more information.