Thread: Gator mandolin Gig Bag and Eastman mandolins

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Gator mandolin Gig Bag and Eastman mandolins

Sunday I purchased a Gator GL light weight mandolin case/gig bag, $99 at my local music store. I like the light weight gig bags, and the hard case that came with my new Eastman MD-514 just has no storage room at all.

I use a Tone-Gard, and I like being able to leave the Tone-Gard attached to the mandolin when I put it away like I did with my Kentucky KM-250 and its gig bag. So I hopped on Amazon, looked up the Gator GL light weight mandolin case, and checked the comments, questions, and reviews. I saw several reviews that specifically stated this case worked with mandolins with Tone-Gard attached. Armed with this assurance, I went to my local store and bought the case.

When I got home and gave it a try, my Eastman MD-514 absolutely did not fit in this case. Not just didn't fit the the Tone-Gard attached, but did not fit AT ALL. Even with the Tone-Gard and everything else removed, the top of the case contacted the bridge and the the bridge prevented the case from getting even close to closing.

This is completely all my own fault. I should have brought my mandolin with me for a test fit before I paid my money. I am now working with the store to exchange the Gator for something else.

In the mean time:

1) Eastman 500 series mandolins do not fit in the Gator GL light weight mandolin case.

2) When buying a case or gig bag for your mandolin, bring the mandolin with you for a test fit.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

2. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

mee 

Default Re: Gator mandolin Gig Bag and Eastman mandolins

...no comment...
    too many strings

I can't speak to the fit with the Toneguard, but I believe that Eastman, or one of the dealers, periodically sells soft side mandolin bags heavily discounted, like $25.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Quote Originally Posted by gspiess View Post
    I can't speak to the fit with the Toneguard, but I believe that Eastman, or one of the dealers, periodically sells soft side mandolin bags heavily discounted, like $25.
    The Mandolin Store has had blow-out sales on the Eastman gig bags for $15. I bought one of those - its really nice. Plenty of room, good padding and very functional backpack straps. Since you bought your 514 from TMS, maybe give them a call and see if they will give you a deal on one.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Since I gave my Eastman gig bag to my son, I've been searching for something else with backpack straps for my Eastman 515V and landed back on this thread. I saw this Gator case on Amazon and read the reviews. Several of the reviewers even explicitly say that Eastman F's fit. I wonder if the design has changed?
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

If it's this Gator case, I got one a few months back and my Eastman 515 F-style fits nicely.
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_gl_m...light_case.htm

Excellent case, good storage, light and I often travel with it on my back on public transport + a 3 km walk back from a regular gig.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillWilliams For This Useful Post:

meeRobP