Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Artistworks vs Peghead Nation

Default Re: Artistworks vs Peghead Nation

I'd like to add another thumbs up for ArtistWorks. I'm enrolled in Sierra Hull's course and find the video exchanges very helpful also. Most submissions are 5 to 10 mins; and i don't believe i've seen a response shorter that 10 mins and many are 20. She gives a very detailed and focused response specific to what she saw. And she remembers her students and comments on their progress. We're very fortunate to have this kind of access to musicians of this caliber.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David121 For This Useful Post:

Don’t look at me, I’m subscribed to both. All of Peghead Nation’s study tracks are fabulous. It’s worth the money just to listen to those people play. Also, David Benedict’s patreon is excellent for any level. His Saturday morning livestreams are great!

I also recommend Chris Henry’s Monroe style material if you’re into to that, and why wouldn’t you be? He partners with Lauren Price Napier, Mike Compton, and David McLaughlin, all of whom are total mandolin geniuses.

It might be best to pick one teacher andcstick with him or her for a while, but I can not do that. Back when I started we were lucky to get 50 pages of printed material dedicated to mandolin about once a quarter, now there’s so much excellence available for very little coin…I’m amazed. Just Baron Collins Hill’s mandolessons.com, which are free BTW, is 1000x more than we had in those days. You wouldn’t be wrong to just stick with Baron for a few years either.

Any comments on Mike Marshall vs Sierra Hull in terms of content, teaching style etc? For those who have done both which would you choose? Thanks and happy holidays.

I've tried both Peghead Nation and Artistworks. I prefer Peghead Nation. You don't have to sign up for an extended period of time. You can sign up for monthly access. If you find you don't like it, you cancel your subscription. Also, you can change instructors without having to pay extra. So for instance, I signed up for Mike Compton's lessons and worked on a Monroe tune I wanted to learn. Later that month, I switched to Joe Walsh's lessons to learn a jam tune I was interested in. You can switch instrument lessons as well. Try out mando lessons, and then switch to guitar, bass, fiddle, etc.

Well, I went with the 50 percent off Artist works. Mike Marshall is my Mando Idol, I can't believe that I will be able to take lessons from him. Even if it is in a round about way. I am very much looking forward to diving in!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyEllison View Post
    Well, I went with the 50 percent off Artist works. Mike Marshall is my Mando Idol, I can't believe that I will be able to take lessons from him. Even if it is in a round about way. I am very much looking forward to diving in!
    I encourage you to take advantage of the video submissions. Those really make it a great value

I do plan on using the video submission feature, But I am going to practice a lot before I do. I feel weird about sending a video of myself playing the mandolin to someone as amazing as Mr. Marshall.

I do plan on using the video submission feature, But I am going to practice a lot before I do. I feel weird about sending a video of myself playing the mandolin to someone as amazing as Mr. Marshall.
    Even though its not live I still get nervous doing the videos and end up doing many takes

He's very encouraging, so don't spend time worrying about that.

I'll repeat myself (old guy privilege) and strongly suggest spending time watching some of his video feedback to others in the "beginner" series and make sure you get the straight-back chair, footrest and mandolin position and hand/pick adjustments in your playing, unless you really want to hear that [same] advice. You might practice recording some videos for a while to find a good location and lighting arrangement for yourself/phone/laptop/ipad/whatever it takes to get a video that will show best how you are playing, i.e., doing what the lesson is trying to teach. I don't know how much time you've spent recording yourself, but you may find that recording a lesson with relatively simple fiddle tune (you may already know) turns out to be just a little harder than you thought when it's going to be submitted for a lesson. And, even if you don't submit something right away, objectively observing yourself in a video can be educational!
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

11. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Mike prefers that you don’t practice your video submission more than a little because that obscures the things he can best help you improve. A good teacher wants to help you find and fix the things you do that impede your playing. Swallow your pride and submit a video that shows you struggling a bit. Then he can really help you.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kenny For This Useful Post:

The video should show how you are playing at the time. Making 20 takes to get it perfect is the wrong approach. You’re a student, show how you normally play. Then you can track you progress. Besides, you’ll have plenty of stress in making the recording.

Over Covid I sent recordings to my teacher weekly. When we enabled the ‘3 takes’ rule my playing got smoother and more relaxed, if not more ‘perfect’. As you know, you’re not born full grown.

Good luck and have fun.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

Thank you all for the input! I would not have considered all of these things. I can imagine that it is best to just record the level I am at so I can get the best feedback. I have not recorded myself yet and I am sure there will be a lot of obstacles to overcome. I am very excited though. I have been playing for years now but hopefully I will see serious improvement by doing this course. Mike is someone that I very much admire, I can't wait to do these lessons! At 50 percent off it was a no brainer. Thank you all for the great advice though. I will make sure I put those things into practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    The video should show how you are playing at the time. Making 20 takes to get it perfect is the wrong approach. You’re a student, show how you normally play. Then you can track you progress. Besides, you’ll have plenty of stress in making the recording.

Over Covid I sent recordings to my teacher weekly. When we enabled the ‘3 takes’ rule my playing got smoother and more relaxed, if not more ‘perfect’. As you know, you’re not born full grown.

Good luck and have fun.
    I do multiple takes because when recording because I play worse than I normally play due to nervousness. Its not that I am try to do it perfect, I just want to avoid the flaws that are purely due to "stage fright"

18. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    I do multiple takes because when recording because I play worse than I normally play due to nervousness. Its not that I am try to do it perfect, I just want to avoid the flaws that are purely due to "stage fright"
    Right. That's what I was saying about practicing recording - it's that "red/record light is on" syndrome that ups the take count .
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    I understand completely. The first few bars are often the worst. But for me, a short number of takes helped me relax and accept how I was playing at that time. It’s also part of learning how to perform.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    I understand completely. The first few bars are often the worst. But for me, a short number of takes helped me relax and accept how I was playing at that time. It’s also part of learning how to perform.
    Unfortunately for me a “short number of takes” is a dozen or so

I agree that submitting a VE is the best way to make the most out of the course. I don't think there is a "wrong way" to do it and I have not heard Mike state a preference as to whether a student should practice their VE or not, although it's possible he has done so and I missed it, as there is so much content on the site.

Personally I find that doing multiple takes & trying to submit the best I can do functions as a great focused practice session for me, and I have no doubt that Mike can see the problems with my playing whether I practice a tune twice or 200 times. I also find it useful to review these multiple takes as I am deciding which one to submit. It helps me to see what I am doing wrong (and right) as I compare and contrast them. See you there!
    2004 Gibson F5 Alan Bibey Signature Series
    c1930 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO 305
    2017 RAG F #29
    Kay A
    NoName "finish it yourself" Ebay beater F

I've meant to post on this thread, before any 'end of year' deals end. As many have noted, there's no WRONG way to go here. Lots of online learning options, and all are much better than random YouTube free lessons. And most are quite a bargain ($10-30 per MONTH for access to some of the best! Think about that.)

When Michael Daves joined ArtistWorks to teach Bluegrass Vocals, I wrote a story for the Cafe, HERE.

Love all the teachers mentioned here so far, and I want to add that there is a TON of mandolin and guitar content in Michael's Bluegrass Vocals lessons. Literally years of learning on those subjects in addition to the vocal work. So if you happen to be interested in singing, and play either mandolin or guitar, or both, it's kind of a 3 for one deal. Just by watching and copying the instrumental breaks and rhythm in the lessons

HERE is a video I produced for the Cafe that gives a feel for Michael as a teacher. His ARTISTWORKS lesson plan contains a treasure trove of guitar and mandolin breaks and interviews with your bluegrass heroes. And you can hone in on what interests you.

>>> If you DO sign up - do the Cafe a favor, and let Michael know that you learned about him at the Cafe. He'll be interested to hear it, and it shows how valuable this forum is.

BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

As Mike has said, we are all climbing up the same mountain. There will always be somebody in front of you and somebody behind you. The skill levels in the course range from can barely tune the thing and play a few open notes up to working on advanced improv ideas. Give it a shot and you'll find lots of supportive fellow students at any level!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

26. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Jumping in to this topic from a few years ago as I have been a member of AW for several years with Mr. Sutton and the last year with Mrs. Hull and just now looking at Peghead nation. The issue I have is that Sierra doesn't explain or show what she is playing in a lot of instances, she just breezes through the melody. This makes it difficult due to continually having to stop and slow down the video to see what notes she is playing. I've tried to get away from using tab and learn more by ear and watching, but even her tab is not always accurate to what she is playing, which makes it a little more difficult that it should be. The exchanges are the best thing and the main selling point in my opinion for AW. I've just signed up for some courses in peghead, so time will tell on those.
    2000 Flatiron

28. The following members say thank you to junderwood926 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by junderwood926 View Post
    Jumping in to this topic from a few years ago as I have been a member of AW for several years with Mr. Sutton and the last year with Mrs. Hull and just now looking at Peghead nation. The issue I have is that Sierra doesn't explain or show what she is playing in a lot of instances, she just breezes through the melody. This makes it difficult due to continually having to stop and slow down the video to see what notes she is playing. I've tried to get away from using tab and learn more by ear and watching, but even her tab is not always accurate to what she is playing, which makes it a little more difficult that it should be. The exchanges are the best thing and the main selling point in my opinion for AW. I've just signed up for some courses in peghead, so time will tell on those.
    I am on the intermediate course on AW with Sierra now, and very happy with it. I have also encountered a few instances where the tab does match what she played. I mentioned this in one of my video submissions and she said that she does not do the transcriptions. I try to learn by watching the video but I do "cheat" and check it with the tab. I have found Sierra's video responses to be very helpful. She picks up on a lot of little things to fix and often give me a practice routine to work on. The video slowdown feature on AW doesn't provide very good sound, so I usually make a sound file from it and use Amazing Slow Dower to get batter audio quality
    Northfield FS5 Blond
    Eastman 404 Oval Hole
    Kentucky KM-250

30. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post: