Thread: Telemann: Siciliana from Partita No. 5, mandolin/mandocello duet

Default Telemann: Siciliana from Partita No. 5, mandolin/mandocello duet

Georg Philipp Telemann: Partita No. 5 (TWV 41:e1), Aria 4: Siciliana
    First published in "Kleine Kammermusik" (1716).

I originally found this nice tune in a collection of Baroque recorder duets edited by Gertrud Keller (link). Strangely, Keller presents the solo melody only, the only solo piece in a collection of duets. I liked the melody, but it didn't sound like a solo composition to me. Telemann wrote a great number of sicilianas, but I eventually found the right one in a collection of six partitas published in 1716, for melody instrument and continuo -- the original edition says "for violin or transverse flute, or keyboard, but especially oboe". As suspected, the original had a continuo part to go with the melody.

IMSLP has two settings for Partita 5: one with just the siciliana and without continuo, and the other in a setting for trumpet and organ by Michel Rondeau. The Rondeau setting has Finale source files for further editing, so I have extracted a performing score for mandolin and mandocello (or alternatively classical guitar) from those Finale files.

https://imslp.org/wiki/Partita_No.5%...Georg_Philipp)

Since then, I have noticed that IMSLP also has the complete set of six partitas in a nice typeset PDF with figured bass, which makes my version somewhat redundant:

https://imslp.org/wiki/Kleine_Kammer...Georg_Philipp)

I attach three PDFs: my adaptations for mandocello (in bass clef) and for guitar (in octave treble clef), as well as the urtext edition with figured bass.

For my recording, I have played the continuo part on mandocello, and have overdubbed the melody line on mandolin afterwards.

Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin

https://youtu.be/KxEC0WW8v4U

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Telemann Siciliana Partita V (Mandolin & Guitar).pdf   Telemann Siciliana Partita V (Mandolin & Mandocello).pdf   Telemann Siciliana Partita V (urtext with figured bass).pdf  

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: Telemann: Siciliana from Partita No. 5, mandolin/mandocello d

A wonderful holiday treat, Martin.

Thank you.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

4. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

bass player gone mando

Very nice indeed! Love Telemann. Two questions.

Why is it called a Siciliana?

What is that blue instrument in the corner? Looks like some kind of resonator tenor guitar?
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

Thanks, Mick and Chuck!

Chuck: A Siciliana is a pastoral dance tune, usually in compound time (6/8, 9/8 or 12/8) and a minor key. In the early baroque period usually quite lively becoming slower in the late baroque. Quantz (the flute tutor of Frederick the Great of Prussia) said the siciliana should be played very simply, to maintain the character of a Sicilian shepherd's dance, almost without trills or ornamentation, but should not become too slow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siciliana

The blue instrument in the corner is indeed a resonator tenor guitar -- I bought it many years ago from Garry Probert, who built it as a prototype for a commissioned instrument, hence the rough-hewn aesthetic and industrial colour scheme. Single cone (spun by Garry himself), biscuit bridge. Here it is on a recording of a ragtime tune I made last year (Dill Pickles Rag):

https://youtu.be/56QZ-f2XmLc

Martin

7. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

chuck3 

A very nice recording, Martin.

9. The following members say thank you to Pierpaolo S. for this post: