Thread: Old Time Workshops / Floyd County Get Together

Default Old Time Workshops / Floyd County Get Together

Has anybody been to the Floyd County Old Time Get Together? It occurs at a convenient time for me this year, so I'm thinking of going to spend some time learning from one of my heroes, Caleb Klauder. It's going to be a bit of a journey, though, so I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into.

More broadly, what old time camps / workshops have you all been to? Are there any in particular you would recommend? I have been to Monroe Camp, Mando Camp North, and March Mando (NH).
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

Default Re: Old Time Workshops / Floyd County Get Together

Amanda, My wife and I are registered for Floyd again this year. We went last year and had the most fun I think we have ever had at a camp. I took Caleb's mandolin class and thoroughly enjoyed it. He is such a nice guy! Classes are small. I think we had 12 or so in the mando class. My wife took vocals from Reeb and really enjoyed her, and the class. The jams and concerts are absolutely fabulous, and it is all topped off with the performances at the Floyd Store. IMHO you can't go wrong. My wife and I have attended Swannanoa twice, a camp in Surry NC, and been to Clifftop. Floyd was the most fun. You NEED to go, but act quickly as it fills up rapidly. We stay at the Hotel Floyd which is very nice.

BTW, we visit Newport, Vermont, in the summer as our daughter has a condo there. We are always looking for folks to play with. We might make it down to Middlebury sometime. Please let us know of any old time opportunities. We co-ordinate the Williamsburg Old Time Music Group here in Virginia. Reach out to us if you are ever in the vicinity.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

3. The following members say thank you to Pappyrich for this post:

Default Re: Old Time Workshops / Floyd County Get Together

Quote Originally Posted by Pappyrich View Post
    BTW, we visit Newport, Vermont, in the summer as our daughter has a condo there. We are always looking for folks to play with. We might make it down to Middlebury sometime. Please let us know of any old time opportunities. We co-ordinate the Williamsburg Old Time Music Group here in Virginia. Reach out to us if you are ever in the vicinity.
    Thanks very much for your reply, and absolutely, hit me up if you're coming to the area.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo