Thread: Pickin' Buddies in New York City

Post Pickin' Buddies in New York City

I'm an intermediate player looking for others to form a smaller regular jam session in Manhattan or Brooklyn (okay, any of the five boroughs). I know there are plenty of established jams in the city -- they are terrific, but also rather large. You don't get a lot of breaks and it is too loud to hear. A smaller jam is better for progress and can be more fun. Looking for 2-3 others who have a decent repertoire (fiddle tunes as well as songs) and want to meet weekday evenings -- day TBD. My apartment building (downtown near City Hall) has a music room, but it's first come first serve. If you have a place we can play, could work too. If you play guitar or other BG instrument, so much the better.

About me: I have been playing mandolin for 20 years, mainly bluegrass, old-time, celtic. Memorized lots of tunes but getting into improvisation. Fan of Thile, Flinner, Marshall, Grisman -- also Nate Lee, Frank Solivan, David Benedict. Used to do the festivals a lot -- plan to again. Personally, I'm 58-yo, digital marketing exec, moved from Virginia in 2011.

Email me and we can connect by phone -- thanks!
    Michael

Default Re: Pickin' Buddies in New York City

For larger jams, here are the ones I know about or have gone to:

Sunny's Bar in Red Hook (Sundays) -- a fairly advanced jam with good players, at least a dozen at the three I went to
    The Sheriff's Jam at The Gray Mare (2nd Tuesdays) -- longest running NYC jam, also pretty advanced and large (can be more than 20)
    Liz Wolf's uptown jams (various days) -- intermediate/beginner level, also 20+ players
    Mona's Bar (Mondays) -- haven't been, but I know they have some top players, not sure how open a jam it is

If you live in NYC and want to play regularly with 1-2 others -- let's talk!
    Mike

3. The following members say thank you to Mandomike45 for this post:

Also, the Green Room Jam on 23rd Street.

Sounds like the OP knows about most of these.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I'm the OP -- let me clarify:
    I'm looking for 1-2 players to simply get together and pick. Not a formal public jam, just us in one of our homes maybe weekly or bi-weekly. I totally don't expect NYC's hot players to be interested -- but if you are an intermediate player, know a few dozen tunes more or less at speed, then this is the absolute best way improve fast. Definitely better than the big public jams (but absolutely do them too!). Respond here if interested -- Manhattan and Brooklyn are ideal. I look forward to hearing from you! Best, Mike

Mike: since you attend these jams I am surprised that you can’t find people like yourself to get together with. I lived in NYC and Brooklyn for decades and met all my music friends at jams and music parties. No problem of course to connect with mandolin players here. If you are in the old time, bluegrass, contra dance, Irish, etc. networks I would think it might just be a matter if talking to folks at these and seeing who is also interested. Sorry if that sounds super-obvious.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Registered User E.R. Villalobos's Avatar

Mike- thanks for the locations. I'm more of a beginner but I'm always interested in places to hear music.
    My buddy Mark Miller has the Brooklyn Bluegrass Collective for Sunday brunch at The Porch, his restaurant and music venue in the Sugerhill neighborhood of Harlem.
    Mark and his wife Beth were the founders of Spuyten Duyvil, a roots / folk / rock collective.

Spuyten Duyvil (to spite the Devil) now there's a uniquely local, old-time New York City phase.

Gene on the UWS

Jim -- you are absolutely correct: going to the jams is the ideal way to find folks to get together and play with, and I am doing that. Just not enough I think -- it takes time to get to be a known quantity. And I'm trying not to drink, which makes the bar jams problematic, at least for the time being.

We have a monthly non-alcoholic old time jam up near me at an old farm in northern Westchester. Probably not super accessible to you unless you have a car or a ride. I was running it for over a dozen years then stopped for Covid but we are starting on this Friday evening. Message me for more info.

What community
    in Northern Westchester?

Yorktown Heights
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I never have an issue limiting my drinks at bar jams, especially the larger ones. If I drank at every friends show or at every jam I went to I would become a raging alcholic. I'm just across the BK Bridge and frequent most of those jams. Im sure we have crossed paths. I'm open to much smaller jams and have hosted several in my apartment, other friends, or any of the parks around NYC. Hit me up if you are still looking to play

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Williams View Post
    I never have an issue limiting my drinks at bar jams, especially the larger ones. If I drank at every friends show or at every jam I went to I would become a raging alcholic. I'm just across the BK Bridge and frequent most of those jams. Im sure we have crossed paths. I'm open to much smaller jams and have hosted several in my apartment, other friends, or any of the parks around NYC. Hit me up if you are still looking to play
    Hey Zach — I just saw this, sorry for the delay. Yes we have crossed paths for sure — at Gowanus a couple times. I’d love to pick with you any time. I do think you are a few notches above me skill-wise though. I’ve got a small regular jam going Fridays at 4pm at Battalion. My direct email is endresmh@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Williams View Post
    Hey Zach — I just saw this, sorry for the delay. Yes we have crossed paths for sure — at Gowanus a couple times. I’d love to pick with you any time. I do think you are a few notches above me skill-wise though. I’ve got a small regular jam going Fridays at 4pm at Battalion. My direct email is endresmh@gmail.com