Thread: Schumann and Tchaikovksy mandolin quartet arrangements

Default Schumann and Tchaikovksy mandolin quartet arrangements

The other day, I was leafing through some old sheet music left from a predecessor mandolin orchestra to our current group and came across a number of arrangements for fretted instrument ensembles by Jim Hulley. Jim lived in Timperley (now Greater Manchester) and was active in the BMG Association in the UK in the 1980s. These pages were in an envelope postmarked 1990 sent directly from him to the secretary of the orchestra, and do not ever appear to have been opened or used (although I expect that other BMG groups would also have received and played them).

We have a number of other Hussey arrangements in our repertoire, but I hadn't seen these two pieces: Schumann's Träumerei and Tchaikovsky's "Dreams" (the more common title in English is "Sweet Dreams", from his "Album For The Young", Op. 39). Nice settings which I thought may be of interest here, so I am attaching scans.

I have also recorded this setting of Träumerei at home as a mandolin quartet:

1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin (x2)
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/DVYtPqjcLbs

There is an ongoing debate about the "proper" tempo of this piece. Hulley has marked the arrangement "andante", and Schumann's original metronome marking was 100 bpm. I'm taking it at around 80bpm, which sounds right to me although most piano versions these days are much slower.

I may try the Tchaikovsky as well, but it's tricky to record by multi-tracking because of the way Hulley has split the piano parts between the instruments.

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Traumerei M1.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	323.4 KB 
ID:	204953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Traumerei M2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	307.8 KB 
ID:	204954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Traumerei Mla.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	349.8 KB 
ID:	204955  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Traumerei Gtr.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	424.2 KB 
ID:	204956  

2. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post: