Thread: A few YouTube videos which have impressed me recently...

Default A few YouTube videos which have impressed me recently...

By way of a Christmas present to fellow mandoliers everywhere, a few YouTube videos which have captured my attention recently...

Ian McDonald and Bethany Waickman play The Fox On The Town/Palmer's Gate/The Crosses Of Annagh. Inspiring mandolinery from Ian McDonald with lovely guitar backing from Bethany Waickman.

Dave Mattey - The Lockdown Reel. His own composition, played on a number of instruments which he has built himself over the years.

Mark Nangle - The Swallowtail Jig. NO MANDOLIN CONTENT: A schoolfriend who now lives in Australia, Mark Nangle is a multi-instrumentalist who has a grá (among other musical interests) in playing Irish traditional music. Sometimes acoustically on instruments including octave mandola and mandolin, sometimes - as in this video - on electric guitar, layered with electronic effects. I was really grabbed by the pace of his playing of this session standard which brings out its melancholy and sinister undertones.

Best wishes for the festive season.

Aidan

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aidan Crossey For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A few YouTube videos which have impressed me recently...

Thank you Aidan, the videos paired nicely with my morning coffee.
    The Fox on the Town set is really inspiring, I’m going to finish my scone and head to the practice room.
    The Swallowtail Jig, is great. I love how some jigs played slowly have a march feel (at least to my untrained ear).
    And how anyone gets so proficient on so many instruments is just beyond me. It must be tough to edit a video like that!
    Merry Christmas

4. The following members say thank you to Ed McGarrigle for this post:

I thought Eric looked familiar, but he had more beard last time I saw him. He was in the Daymark Band when they toured the PNW a few years ago, and my S.O. and I were the hosts for a house concert and overnight stay here in Port Townsend.

We had great conversations over breakfast, as well as enjoying the music the night before in our home. He was playing guitar in that band, great to see his work on mandolin here.

6. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ed McGarrigle View Post
    Thank you Aidan, the videos paired nicely with my morning coffee.
    The Fox on the Town set is really inspiring, I’m going to finish my scone and head to the practice room.
    The Swallowtail Jig, is great. I love how some jigs played slowly have a march feel (at least to my untrained ear).
    And how anyone gets so proficient on so many instruments is just beyond me. It must be tough to edit a video like that!
    Merry Christmas
    Good to hear from you, Ed.

I was in touch with Dave recently and I expressed my annoyance that not only is he a fine musician but he's blessed with enormous talent when it comes to making instruments as well. Really! It's just too much... and with that concentration of skills, there's very little left for the rest of us. :-)

In his reply, he intimated that he's considering casting a tailpiece in bronze for his next instrument project. The guy just doesn't know where and when to stop!

(Oh and there's the whole video-editing string to his bow, as well. I think the appropriate, broadcast-friendly expression is "Sheesh!")

Best wishes for the festivities - if they haven't yet begun in earnest.

Aidan

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    I thought Eric looked familiar, but he had more beard last time I saw him. He was in the Daymark Band when they toured the PNW a few years ago, and my S.O. and I were the hosts for a house concert and overnight stay here in Port Townsend.

We had great conversations over breakfast, as well as enjoying the music the night before in our home. He was playing guitar in that band, great to see his work on mandolin here.
    His mandolinery is something else... technique, pace, great choice of tunes to boot. He makes it all seem so easy when of course that level of musicality is something very few people will ever attain. (Doesn't stop us trying, though.)

Aidan

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

The musicianship in the Fox on the Town set is indeed delightful, but special commendation must go to the cinematographer, even more so if he is also the editor. I lost count of how many angles were used - Six? Seven? - and syncing up the sound from all the shots must have been a daunting task. Unless this person is a gifted genius, which may well be the case. And while I'm at it, extra kudos to the musicians, who had to have performed consistently as well as excellently in order to have provided enough compatible footage for this fine video to be produced so seamlessly. Well done all around! Thanks for finding and sharing.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

10. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post: