Thread: Spanish laud intonation

Default Spanish laud intonation

Hi there - my first post so here goes .

I have acquired a 12 string Spanish laud which the previous owner had strung with a set of 12 string guitar strings . The intonation was poor but I hoped a change of strings and tuned to correct pitch would alleviate the poor intonation . I fashioned a set of strings from a bouzouki and mandolin set and after filing some chewed up nut slots have the following gauges on . 040 /032/028/024/016/011 all unison pairs . There is a zero fret and a straight non compensated saddle . The makers name is Roca . Scale length is 46cm .
    Intonation is still pretty poor specially the lower strings . I have it tuned G#2/C#3/F#3/B3/E4/A4 . The 12th fret seems to be correctly positioned .
    My question is is there anything I can do to improve intonation ?
    My local music shop suggest the intonation is art of its folk charm !
    Any suggestions welcome .
    Patrick

Default Re: Spanish laud intonation

Here is a set of strings made especially for a laud. I don't know if they would be any better than what you've already tried:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/laud-strings-929/

My personal experience with Spanish-made lauds is that they were quite often a bit off on the bridge intonation, always slightly sharp at the 12th fret compared to the harmonic.

I have no idea why this was so common.

Quote Originally Posted by Patr View Post
    My local music shop suggest the intonation is art of its folk charm !
    Well, that's a convenient excuse...but I have seen a few well-intonated lauds along the way.

Thanks for the replies . I was aware of the Bella set of laud strings and used the gauges as a reference . I may try out a set to see if offers any improvement .
    My laud is definitely sharp at 12th fret ranging from 20 to 40 cents hi to low strings . The saddle is quite thin at 2mm and the slot is shallow at 2mm . The saddle protrudes from the bridge 1mm. I am tempted to file the slot to fit in a wider saddle that could then be compensated . I suppose such a saddle would be 3 - 3.5 mm .
    wide . Would this make much of a difference ?

The fretboard is flat . The laud plays ok but the intonation is irritating . First five frets are not so bad but I would really like to be able to play octave on adjacent seventh fret .

Any suggestions welcome including whether it’s worth the effort to improve things .

5. The following members say thank you to Patr for this post:

I think the lowest string is going to need 3mm or so compensation, maybe a little more. A 3mm saddle should get you there on the highest strings, maybe the two lowest might still play 10 cents sharp at the 12th.

In your place, I'd mock up a saddle from some hardwood. A 1mm piece to fit the current slot, and a 2mm piece to glue on the back and rest on the bridge. You could string that up, compensate it, and see how close you get.

If it works, maybe get a pro to rout out the wider slot. I've never got a good-shaped slot by filing.

7. The following members say thank you to ProfChris for this post:

Thanks for the mock up saddle suggestion - sounds like a plan . The saddle is glued in . If I used a heat gun on it maybe I can get it out .

If your action is not too high just set a piece behind the saddle, leave it in place, but make the new piece slightly taller. It doesn't have to be much. If it makes a difference you might consider filling the saddle slot in with wood and routing a new saddle that will intonate. I have filled and re-routed a lot of saddle slots, it makes a huge difference.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

DavidKOSPatr