Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget Mandocello

Default Re: Budget Mandocello

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Paul Hathway instruments? He makes a flat top mandocello in my price range. The problem would be getting it from the UK to the US.

https://www.paulhathway.com/mandocello-2/
    A Hathway mandocello was the first one that I ever played --- but that was 15 or so years ago. I had only been in Mandoland for a few years at that point, so my eye for construction and my ear for tone were nowhere near what they are today. It's a really distant memory. I want to say that it sounded okay, but the neck was a bit thick for my hand. However, I wouldn't bet anything on that memory. I will say, though, that I don't remember it being crap; it just wasn't for me.

The good news in that story is that, like most builders, Hathway is probably building better instruments now than he was 15 years ago, and that he must be building good instruments at his price points to still be in business after so long.

That said, you might be happier with one of those Tamaracks, if you can find one. I played a I and a II side-by-side at Mandolin Brothers a year or two after my Hathway encounter, and I heard a significant step up in tone in the II.

It's too bad for you that Walt Kuhlman is gone. His Gypsy instruments were great at their price points, and they rarely come up for sale these days --- which tells you something.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

I have a Hathway mandocello, about 6 years old now (bought direct from Paul Hathway in London, so was able to try a few: they all seemed well made and my choice was based on a red cedar top). I love it, though I don't have much experience to compare it with, other than trying an Italian custom built bowlback mandocello (forget about wrestling an alligator, that bowlback was more like kickboxing with a ceratops). The Hathway has a truss rod, though the bridge is fixed. Intonation is fine, and the C string has a very good tone. The shape means you need to work on getting a comfortable and stable position, and I use a non-slip bit of matting on my lap. But it is well balanced, and it did come with strap buttons. For the price, I think it's a bargain: no fancy bling, just a good functional instrument. Here in the UK I haven't seen anything else at anywhere near the price - or indeed, anything much else at all
    "To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable". Beethoven

Eastman MD404
    Angara e D'Isanto 1895 Bowlback
    Eastman MD505 CC
    Paul Hathway Mandocello
    Bucketful of picks...still looking for the Magic one 🦄

My Carvalho mandocello cost me $600 used, and I'm quite happy with its sound and stability. It's no K4, but it has a good strong tone and it's stable. Not great for the OP because of its huge 1 3/4 inch nut width.

For the present I can't play it unfortunately, because my finger bones haven't healed yet from my table saw accident.