Thread: How to to deal with neck dive ...

Default How to to deal with neck dive ...

Getting ready for gigging season and still learning about the instrument. I'm having a bit of an issue with neck dive and was wondering if anyone has been bugged enough to try to find a solution? Was thinking there may be strap options to help with it? Or gluing a more sticky material to the strap? Any suggestions?

Default Re: How to to deal with neck dive ...

Some straps have more friction than others due to width or material, but I think the best thing you can do to avoid neck dive is to get used to a higher neck angle.

If you're holding the mandolin almost horizontal while standing, then it's going to want to dive if it's an F-style with a large headstock. The closer you get to a 45 degree neck angle, the more stable the instrument is. You don't need to go all the way to 45 degrees, but somewhere in the higher angle zone is where most instruments will sit comfortably without tending to dive.

If you're already using a higher neck angle, then look into a "stickier" strap like suede leather with the soft side down. I use a small round braided strap on my mandolin and that works fine, but I do use a wider suede leather strap for my F-style octave mandolin. It has a huge headstock that wants to dive even with a higher neck angle.

Like suggested above I keep the neck and headstock angled up rather than horizontal.

On my A4 10 string mandola I have a Lakota Leathers strap from the tailpiece button to the neck just above the nut. No dive at all.

On my F style instruments (F4 and F5 mandolins, F4 octave mandolin, F4 25" scale 10 string mandocello) the strap goes from the scroll to the tailpiece button. I also use Lakota Leathers straps on these and they stay put pretty well without sliding so I don't have any problems keeping the headstock up. I also use a Tone-gard and armrest on my instruments which helps me keep the mandolin body in place between my right forearm and chest without muffling the sound.

I use a strap when playing standing or seated and maintain the same angle/position either way.

Thanks for the info. I'll look them up.

Attaching the strap to the headstock will stop neck dive. I like to go past the nut to the first tuner at least, it keeps the strap out of my way when playing.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I'll give that a shot. Thnx.

Tone gard are a counter balance perhaps ?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Tying off to the headstock, under the strings, solved it. Thanks for the tips.

Very interested the tone guard. It may be my imagination, but the mandolin seems to project and sustain better when it's not up against my torso.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakum View Post

Very interested the tone guard. It may be my imagination, but the mandolin seems to project and sustain better when it's not up against my torso.
    You can search this forum for dozens of Tone-gard discussions. I do believe they allow my mandolins (and HD-28) to sound better, sustain longer, etc. There are many others who disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakum View Post

I think it allows you to hear it better, those out front, I don't think it makes a difference.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

My experience is the same as Mandobart, leather strap (Levi in my case) with rough side against my shirt stops the sliding around. It helps that I save the John Travolta silk disco shirts for the tango dance floor.

I also use arm rests and a tone guard on my main mando.

Suede strap.

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Tone gard are a counter balance perhaps ?
    They work great as a counter balance. I just recently got one for my mandolin and right after mounting it the neck dive was gone.
    Anyhow I will fix the strap around the neck again. The F-Style shape allows it to connect the strap to the body and almost everybody does that, but to me it seems more comfortable the neck-mount-way.