Thread: "Bulas Banjos" mandolins

Default "Bulas Banjos" mandolins

Does anyone have first hand experience with a Bulas mandolin? I am looking to upgrade from my Eastman MD 614 which I would sell after I get a new mandolin. The Bulas mandolins look and sound great, but I don't have much info on them aside from a few mandolin monday videos and a sound clip or two. I was wondering if anyone had played one themselves, particularly their A style?

Default Re: "Bulas Banjos" mandolins

Sorry I can’t help, Xavier. All I know is that they’re made by a father and son team in Poland. They sound good in the various video clips I’ve seen, but I’ve never seen or heard one in person. I hope someone can add further info for you.

David Benedict's wife, Tabitha, plays a banjo that the Bulas made her. You might contact him in regards to details about their mandolins.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I just played a Bulas f-style at the Barcelona Bluegrass Camp (one of the participants bought one via the classifieds in the UK). They look and sound just as great as in the online videos. Very well made, great finish and something different. Soundwise you've to think in the direction the higher end (East)European builders like Krishot, Prucha etc.

Short answer: Excellent Mandolin. I have played a Collings MT for 10 years. I just received my Bulas yesterday. The short review is: Longer sustain, fuller sound, louder chop - just resonates more in all ways. The Collings does play a slight bit better up the neck on the E string (talking like 15th fret, not 12th, and only when sliding into the note, not when plucking directly), but I need more time to play with the action, change strings, adjust the bridge height, perhaps remove the pick guard, etc. I'll update in a few months.

Long Answer: I was introduced to Michal Bulas when I was living in Switzerland last year. He and his dad set up shop at La Roche (largest Bluegrass fest in Europe). I was taking some classes with Alex Johnstone of Rapid Grass who plays a Bulas and he recommended we check out Bulas' shop. I was blown away by the resonating, heavy, 'woody' tone that also gave the brightness I needed up high. I also saw two other professional musicians buy his mandolins on the spot at the festival. So, I started a conversation about commissioning a mando. The experience was amazing. Michal its a true artist, true luthier, true professional. Every decision was made together, be it wood, hardware, color - and I chose some pretty atypical colors! He kept me updated, sent photos of every step, color samples, etc. When it was finished he shipped to the US (where I live now) and it arrived well packaged - like over the top protection - and in pristine condition.

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about my mandolin and Michal Bulas. He will be at IBMA in 2023. If you're interested - check him out and decide for yourself - I think you'll be surprised by the craftsmanship, sound quality, and price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	206946  
    Last edited by Kasahara; Apr-07-2023 at 8:57am.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kasahara For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Beautiful instrument, thanks for sharing the info.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Michal is building me an F5 model.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Kasahara - that’s a beautiful looking mandolin!