Thread: Weight of K&K pickup?

Default Weight of K&K pickup?

I have a Weber STE F-style with a K&K installed. I know this mando was made to be an affordable instrument and so has some construction adaptions. For example, the tongue of the fingerboard is fused to the body, adding extra weight; and there are other things that may contribute. It is heavy...you notice the weight immediately you pick it up.

I'm considering having the pickup removed to reduce the weight. It plays and sounds decent and I like it for a travel instrument. Would it make a noticeable difference? I have no experience with mando pickups.

Thanks.

Default Re: Weight of K&K pickup?

The only substantial weight is in the Endpin Jack housing and cover. The individual pickup pads probably weigh about 1/2 a gram. My guess is that you will not hear a difference, but will lower the value of your instrument by removing the pickups and jack.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

3. The following members say thank you to Steve Sorensen for this post:

I have a very nice Brentrup that sounds wonderful. It is also a heavy mandolin, much heavier than my Unicorn. I don't think weight necessarily makes for poor sound. They sound different, but the Brentrup can't be overdriven by playing hard, like a lighter build.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Piezo pickups are no moving parts simple so nearly weightless .. cant you just ignore its there?
    I doubt the acoustic sound will change removing it... jack is into the endblock not any top contact.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks, guys. I should have been more clear. I'm happy with the sound...its fine for what it is. I also realize the endpin jack is where the weight is. I just don't like the weight...just personal taste. I have a couple others that are like feathers, and I just like it that way. Also, the weight is the first thing you notice when you pick it up. As to value, I get it. But I could just keep the pickup and bridge to sell with it. I don't play out with it. But I get it...you're saying it won't make enough difference to make it worth it. Thanks.