Thread: String issue

Default String issue

I have a brand new Loar 700 Supreme with a problem, asking advice here before sending it back.

I have seen similar posts about e strings and the nut, mine is slightly different.

I noticed that one D string was 'twanging' at about the ninth fret from the top.

I have 'tuned' it out by raising the bridge more than I like, still a very slight noise.
    Both Ds open are fine and OK everywhere else. As I raised the bridge the noise moved up the neck but only sounded at one fret at a time.

Does a Loar have a higher bridge action? I can see no sign of a fret catching, removed tailpiece etc, it is almost like a dodgy string.

Thanks for looking.

Default Re: String issue

Sounds more like it needs to have the setup gone over, looking for a high fret would be my guess. It may have been done by the seller, but if it's new, and winter where you live, things are going to move around a bit, and it doesn't take a lot of movement for string that was just clearing one day is suddenly not.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

If the buzz was on more than one fret it’s most likely that the neck isn’t flat, rather than one rogue (pardon!) fret. If you have a smooth and flat straightedge, or even a sheet of printer paper, set it up on the frets and shine a light from behind. Should touch at all frets. As it’s new, it may be settling in, or never actually set up. Unless you are pretty clear about what to do, don’t mess with the truss rod, and leave it to a luthier. Then, since it is new, and if you keep it, buy any kind of a thickness gauge, like engine feelers, and keep track of the height in case it does want to change.
    Proper action height isn’t a rare thing; even the cheapest or oldest mandolins should set up well with a little help.

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    Sounds more like it needs to have the setup gone over, looking for a high fret would be my guess. It may have been done by the seller, but if it's new, and winter where you live, things are going to move around a bit, and it doesn't take a lot of movement for string that was just clearing one day is suddenly not.
    Thank you Keith

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Richard