Thread: Bach Invention #3 BMV 774

Default Bach Invention #3 BMV 774

A bit over a year ago after I'd been picking away at this mandolin thing for a good half year, and taking Mike Marshall's course at ArtistWorks, I got a copy of the JS Bach album of him, on mandocello, and Caterina Lichtenberg. It was (and is, still) a real ear/eye-opener for me, and their ["blistering"] performances of the Inventions are amazing. As soon as I could, I got their book of transcriptions, and when our son visits, we try to work through one or two of them. Here's a take of the 3rd (transposed for 2 mandolins), and while not nearly at the album's tempo, we had fun with it.

2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bach Invention #3 BMV 774

Very well done, my friend.

4. The following members say thank you to M19 for this post:

Nice! And cool you can play this with your son.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

6. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Well done. And a bonus to play this with your son.

8. The following members say thank you to Dean Gray for this post:

Thanks for the comments and listening. The son and I are not likely to get together until summer (and then it's for our niece/cousin's wedding, and it'll be sans mandos), so might as well spam the other one we did last week. Here's a SoundCloud link to #4 in Dm. Our version is a full 50% longer, i.e., 2/3 the tempo, than the one on Caterina Lichtenberg and Mike Marshall's J.S. Bach album - I'm going to need a much stronger cup of coffee to get anywhere close to that .
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

10. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    A bit over a year ago after I'd been picking away at this mandolin thing for a good half year, and taking Mike Marshall's course at ArtistWorks, I got a copy of the JS Bach album of him, on mandocello, and Caterina Lichtenberg. It was (and is, still) a real ear/eye-opener for me, and their ["blistering"] performances of the Inventions are amazing. As soon as I could, I got their book of transcriptions, and when our son visits, we try to work through one or two of them. Here's a take of the 3rd (transposed for 2 mandolins), and while not nearly at the album's tempo, we had fun with it.

I must say, this is VERY listenable. Also: Speed isn‘t everything.
    Olaf

12. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post: