Thread: R.i.p. Ian tyson

Default R.i.p. Ian tyson

One of my first music heroes passed a couple days ago. He along with his partner Sylvia Friker first impressed me when I was just 11 years old. I saw them in concert at a small local college and was blown away by the song writing, harmony, and lyrics. They were backed up by guitarist David Rhea who was a flat picker extraordinaire. I'm 73 and still vividly remember that concert. Tyson's lyrics were genuine, creative, and very colorfully descriptive.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dorenac For This Useful Post:

Ted Heinonen

Default Re: R.i.p. Ian tyson

Always loved his recordings. He and Sylvia were up there as singer/songwriters along with Gordon Lightfoot. One album that is a favorite that he put out in the 90's or so was 18" of Rain... where Sam Bush played some very tasty backup mando and fiddle, it's worth a listen. He will be missed.

Ian was a great western song writer. One of the best ever. Also, a wonderful singer and performer. Had the honor of opening for him a few years back with some friends.
    We played about 5 of his songs the other night in tribute at a New Years Eve gig. Folks really seemed to appreciate that. We sure lost a good one.
    Wherever you are Ian, hope there are good horses for you to ride.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

MikeyGRanald 

Ian had a real riches to rags story -- well, not quite -- he always landed on his feet. Ian Tyson grew up in a world of private school and polo, then became a rodeo rider till he smashed his ankle, when he took up guitar while bedridden. (An elite background, to be sure --living 70 years in Canada, I've never met a person who played polo.) After, a career as a folksinger, he became a rancher, claiming that Neil Young's royalty payments for "Four Strong Winds" paid for the ranch. During his later years, he wrote and performed for his cowboy peers. He and Sylvia seemed very bitter long after they split up, and for decades neither of them could say a good word about each other ir about their Greenwich Village peer, Bob Dylan (Come on, man, that was the 1960's, get over it). I'm glad to see that they mellowed eventually, and remembered the good times. Toward the end of his life, Ian even spoke relatively well of Dylan. "Four Strong Winds" is one of Canada's most recognizable songs, sung from coast to coast to coast. I first learned it in the early 60's from teenagers, when I was a little boy in Cubs, and have been singing it ever since.
    Last edited by Ranald; Jan-02-2023 at 5:32pm.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Ian and Sylvia talk.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesserules For This Useful Post:

JimKoRanald