Thread: A7 chord out of tine

Default A7 chord out of tine

Just got a new Recording King 000 Dirty Thirties tenor guitar with custom strings from Stringjoy for low gCEA tuning. all sounds fine except for A7 cord. For some reason, it sounds out of tune when I strum all 4 strings. Seems like the low G string is the problem. Any ideas?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A7 chord out of tine

I'm curious - why are you using ukulele tuning? I've got a 1935 Triolian steel tenor guitar and have always used a mandola tuning, CGDA.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Also wondering about the Uke tuning in use here, and assuming that A7 chord is a one-finger shape, the issue could easily be the action at the nut being slightly too high and affecting the open chord intonation.

If you are saying one finger at the 2nd fret on the g string that would be A minor not A7.
    Dave Schneider

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

In a GCEA tuning, the one finger applied to form an A7 chord is on the first fret of the C string. It's an odd inversion, but the notes are there.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by PT66 View Post
    If you are saying one finger at the 2nd fret on the g string that would be A minor not A7.
    for gCEA tuning, you press the 3rd string, first fret.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I'm curious - why are you using ukulele tuning? I've got a 1935 Triolian steel tenor guitar and have always used a mandola tuning, CGDA.
    GCEA has been an alternate tuning for "tenor" guitars and banjos forever. I am a long time uke player and have no reason to learn other tunings. So far, the only problem is the "glitchy" A7 chord. I can hear the g string is too low. Hoping a lighter string will fix it. I problem caused it when I asked Stringjoy for deep sounding strings.

One of the things I'd recommend is hooking up a tuner of some sort, and playing through the fretboard one space at a time. It sounds like an intonation issue; if a chord is not sounding right, it's because at least one note is incorrect. See if you can identify exactly where the guitar starts to become inaccurate.

Since intonation is related to action, the solution might be to alter the nut height, bridge height, or truss rod (the three variables that control action).
    Eastwood Newport Tenor
    Cozart Electric Tenor
    Eastwood Airline Mandola
    Seagull S8
    ...and maybe some other stuff...

My guess, and it's certainly only a WAG, is that the nut slot is too high, causing the fretted note to be sharp, and causing you to hear the G as low, even though it may be at the correct pitch, but low compared to the sharp note of the fretted string.