Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: recommend strap for F style?

Default Re: recommend strap for F style?

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    I was looking through amazon, just to get an idea of what was out there. Didn't seem promising. Levy's and Walker & Williams straps looked good, but the comments were all about "too stiff", "not long enough", and/or "too thick to fit under the scroll".

So, any suggestions? Most of the individual makers I used to know of seem to be out of business (it's been a while since I was looking).
    I am a big fan of LegacyStraps (sold on eBay). Many cool designs and made to order

I have been a big fan of Long Hollow Softies for years. Comfortable and simple. I used to stop by the shop in Franklin TN occasionally to browse, say hi, and shop for myself, others and for gifts. Unfortunately Phillip Thompson, who took over the business his dad started in the 70's, passed away last year on August 31. I don't know anything else about the status of his business other than it is no longer a business. Very unfortunate. Phillip was a very nice guy who took great care in his craftsmanship and prided himself on quality product. His shop was in a one story building just off a main road and was stacked with multiple varieties of leather. He had a few "display" type items hanging high out of reach on the wall and a small retail area in the front near the door with the straps. The rest of the building was his work area and storage area. His mother worked in there with him for years, answering the phone and taking the in store purchases.
    Not trying to hijack, the softies are popular but no longer being made.
    Last edited by chipotle; Jan-09-2023 at 12:36am.
    Silverangel EconoA
    Breedlove Quartz FF
    JBovier Tradition

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chipotle For This Useful Post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    I like the Lakota straps. I left one on my Eastman and the Levy’s strap on the mando I swapped for is very stiff compared to those and a little shorter. But the Lakota is a step up in price. Still, on my short list to replace.
    I recently bought a Lakota Leather flat woven mandolin strap for my new Eastman MD-514. Being a more or less typical American male in my late 50s, I carry a fair amount of bacon across my upper back. When the strap arrived is was not long enough to around my neck & right shoulder.

I e-mailed the shop, and they had me mail back the original strap. They made me a custom length strap and sent it right out, and it only cost a few dollars more. All in all it was a very good experience, and now my MD-514 proudly wears its Lakota Leather strap.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

I have found Pinegrove straps very good and very helpful with any mods I want.
    https://www.pinegroveleather.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chipotle View Post
    I have been a big fan of Long Hollow Softies for years. Comfortable and simple. I used to stop by the shop in Franklin TN occasionally to browse, say hi, and shop for myself, others and for gifts. Unfortunately Phillip Thompson, who took over the business his dad started in the 70's, passed away last year on August 31. I don't know anything else about the status of his business other than it is no longer a business. Very unfortunate. Phillip was a very nice guy who took great care in his craftsmanship and prided himself on quality product. His shop was in a one story building just off a main road and was stacked with multiple varieties of leather. He had a few "display" type items hanging high out of reach on the wall and a small retail area in the front near the door with the straps. The rest of the building was his work area and storage area. His mother worked in there with him for years, answering the phone and taking the in store purchases.
    Not trying to hijack, the softies are popular but no longer being made.
    Dang, I didn't know they were out of business. Was just thinking about ordering another one.
    This thread is of much greater interest to me now!

My Recommendation would be one of Sully’s mandolin straps. I would send him an email and tell him that your looking for an F5 mandolin strap. Also, check out his CUSTOMER PHOTOS on his website to see the different mandolins straps that he has made. If you see a photo of a particular mandolin strap let him know and give him the length you need and he will make it for you. He is a great guy to work with and his turn around time is quick!!
    Check out his website - https://sullysstraps.com/vintage-str...ndolin-straps/

Here is a pic of the strap he made for my Ellis F5 Special. I liked it so much that I had him make me a strap for my A5 mandolins.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A6DDC1A7-2B51-4786-AA05-A7E09BB161D6.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	205417
    2023 A. Lawrence Smart A5
    2022 Girouard Griffith Tribute A5
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    2021 Girouard Concert Master F Oval-hole
    2020 Heiden Artist Plus A5
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

Question Re: recommend strap for F style?

A Poll to simply vote for your favorite, may be in order for these FAQ.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Another vote for Little Satchel and Hines (though I am not sure the Hines straps are still available). Both are thin, supple, and strong, made from braided roo hide. They are the best mandolin straps I have ever used. You’ll need to cut or punch the strap button hole in the flat leather piece at the end of the strap, or have a leather worker do it for you.

Pinegrove are fantastic with an F style. I see mine as a strap for life - definitely recommend.

I highly recommend Harrison Straps in Woodlawn Va. (Near Galax). He customizes them to your size and personalizes them with your name on the strap if desired. Try it, you might like it! I'm betting you will love it!

https://www.facebook.com/harrison.straps.1/

12. The following members say thank you to MandoRock65 for this post:

Blog Entries

I’ve been dabbling in making my own for many years now. Most of the popular straps out there I have at one time or another owned and all were great. I just choose to make my own. This particular one I’ve been using for quite a few years now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EC042C33-C481-4DA5-9450-9DD73E0281DD.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	505.8 KB 
ID:	206680