Thread: What's the final word on the KM-606?

Default What's the final word on the KM-606?

I've been eyeballing my next step up from an MK Legacy and have been reading up on the 606. Seems reviews were mixed here.

Now that they've been out a while, what say the mando masters?

Seems like Kentucky went for tone and projection over bling. But what do I know? I'm a newbie who has become fascinated by the instrument. And I blame my deceased FIL for that. He left us a White Eagle banjo, a Japanese Yamaha LL11 (awesome!), and an MK Legacy. Been hooked since I picked it up two months ago.

Default Re: What's the final word on the KM-606?

I should say ... the MK has been, and may continue to be, perfectly serviceable for a long time. I took it apart and did a set-up per the Meldrum file and various YT videos. The board is dead straight, the bridge sanded to match the top, and went to .11s. And after the setup work it just vibrates beautifully and projects very well. But the frets are worn significantly, and there are indentations on the top where the bridge has rested for years. Fixing all this will cost twice what the thing is worth. When I can afford a next step up it will be hung on the wall in honor of my FIL who toured in gospel and bluegrass bands for many years. My wife has a memory of sitting backstage as a child eating a baloney sammich with Bill Monrore. Priceless.

I have never played a KM-606 but I have played a number of Eastman 315's and 515's and was impressed by the sound and playability.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

With the price of a refret these days, even a $1k (new) mandolin might be on the bubble if you look repair cost vs. current value in a few years. If the fretwear isn't yours, and it does sound Ok and is solid otherwise, you might look at getting an estimate - maybe a partial refret would give you something serviceable (for much less than a new mandolin!) for some time while you get a better feel for what would be a good step up. Just a thought.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Well I ordered one and it's supposed to be here Thur. I think it's a step up for me. I thought i would get more quality and less bling with this one. I know it's going to need some setup, but I'm not going to do anything for 10 days or so to let it settle in. I like the F style and it's what I could afford. I also know Eastmans are thought more of here, but if it works, it works. joe

I found one at a store 2 hrs away. Might drive up Saturday and take my MK to compare.

I can envision sanding the edge of the top for a PRS-style natural binding like I do with my Les Paul Tributes. And maybe rubbing down the top to lighten it up.

It's going to be a couple months before I can swing it. Possibly this Summer. But I'm dying to compare my MK to higher end mando.