Thread: Nugget 43 scam listing

Default Nugget 43 scam listing

I found some online ads purporting to offer a retopped 1979 Nugget F for $4,000.

There can't be many retopped Nuggets. No. 43 was retopped, and some of the photos in these ads are photos of No. 43 that appear both at Sandy Munro's website and in the Mandolin Archive.

Other photos purport to show the fretboard scooped, and may have been taken from a legitimate ad.

I know that Nugget 43 was listed for sale by Sandy in 2012 for $19,500 or so; I don't know what's happened to it since then.

Note that there are 3 different ads offering the mandolin in 3 different cities with the same description.

I made contact with the seller and was told the mandolin is now in London, UK.

I don't believe these ads are real. If you know who owns Nugget 43, you might notify that person that someone's running a scam on their mandolin.

https://www.shoppok.com/dallas/a,55,...F-Mandolin.htm

https://www.shoppok.com/denver/a,55,...F-Mandolin.htm

https://m.freeclassifieds.com/detail...sP81NbkfI9hg==
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

2. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Ranald 

Default Re: Nugget 43 scam listing

I must say, this is getting to be an elaborate scam.

Seller recommends an escrow service and sends me a link to the service's website:
    https://www.mrt-worldwide.com/-page%3dPrivacy.html

There are 5 staff photos on that page and they're all fake. Most of them were stolen from a site called Business Roundtable, and the real names of those people have nothing to do with the names given by the "escrow service." On top of that, the site is cheesy, incomplete and out of date.

So it appears that the fake mandolin ads are just a way to steer people to the fake escrow service, which I presume accepts your money and never communicates with you again.

I emailed them and said I needed help with the sale of 42 million tongue depressors ("spatulas," if you're British) for 500 pounds.

I looked up the London address given by the seller: 4 Lansdowne Road W11 3LW. It's a real address, but the house there last sold for 12 million pounds. I doubt anyone who actually lives there would be trying to scrape a measly $4,000 off of some Yank mandolin player.

I asked for a photo of the mandolin with the front page of today's Financial Times, and told the seller I'd be in England in a few weeks. We'll see if I hear from her again.
    Last edited by mrmando; Jan-04-2023 at 1:11am.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

I believe the current owner, living in Virginia, bought it in the early teens and still owns it.

Price should tell ya it is either a scam, stolen, or non-existent, IMHO. I say that because pretty much anybody can easily find a price range online for just about anything, even if you are not an expert in that field.

If it is legit, it is the deal of the century. For example, I looked at a Les Paul for $1700 yesterday that I was hoping to flip for $2600 which should be a quick sale. Of course eBay and Paypal will charge 14% which is almost $400.....I could still make $500 in theory, but I'm still gambling that the winning bidder likes it and also gambling that it doesn't get damaged in the mail -- and that is what I call a screaming deal. Hoping to make $16K on a $4K investment is rare. It happens, but it is rare, IMHO.