Thread: National Triolian 1929

Default National Triolian 1929

Hi Folks,

just acquired this nice little Instrument. I've had quite a few Guitars over the years but this is the first Mandolin. It has the usual cracked tailpiece but someone has brazed a chunk of brass on the underside, so it's solid enough.

I was suprised to see the (original) biscuit has a slotted maple saddle with an ivory insert. The nut also looks like ivory. Never seen this on any other National.

The skinny frets are in need of attention & look like brass on first glance. If anyone can suggest suitable fretwire I'd be grateful, I'd just have the first ten done if I could find a reasonable match.

No case unfortunately but I may have a go at making one, I've just discovered bendy plywood.

Cheers, DavidClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1514.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	451.2 KB 
ID:	205299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1511.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	574.4 KB 
ID:	205300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1518.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	350.8 KB 
ID:	205301

2. The following members say thank you to Davey for this post:

Default Re: National Triolian 1929

Very cool mandolin... However, are you sure that the saddle and the nut are actually ivory or could they be bone? I no longer have my style 2 National mandolin but I did look at my style 1 pear-shaped tenor and I do have what I thought a bone nut but it looks like the saddle is ebony. Well, you may know better than me but I would be surprised that National would use ivory for nuts and saddles for a budget line instrument.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have never seen a National biscuit like that. They are made of maple, both the biscuit and the saddle, and painted black. My guess is someone altered the original.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Hi, yes it may be bone, my Antique Dealer friend said it was Ivory. The Biscuit "feels" right and it's very carefully made.

It's an early Instrument, serial number 184, so maybe it's an odd bridge that someone was playing around with, it hasn't been altered. It certainly sounds good, I've had maybe 20 National and Dobro Instruments and have never tried a hard material like that for a saddle.

I was intending to reset the neck, but I won't bother as it's remarkably unmolested for a 94 year old. I might get away with a lower bridge, I've got a bit of room to play with before I run out of break angle.

Cheers, David

What is the scale length? My style 2 was 15”. It sounded pretty awful tuned to standard mandolin tuning so I tuned down to Yank Rachell E tuning with octaves in the bass. Still it was pretty raucus sound. My tailpiece also cracked in the usual bend but I had it silver soldered. They all seem to have had bone nuts but you may be right if it was early and a prototype and they tried bone for the saddle. Brozman book says biscuits and saddle were all maple but refers to guitars not mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It's 15 inch scale length. It came with 10 to 34 strings tuned GDAE & it didn't feel that heavy though the action was a little high on the bass side. I would have preferred an unrepaired tailpiece but mine is at least functional, I've filled the cracks with epoxy putty.

It has Waverley Tuners, the same as came on my 1935 Gibson A50. They're not great but they don't slip. The original cone is in perfect condition which is great.

I'd love a silver one of these to match my Style O Guitar but they don't turn up in Europe very often.

Cheers, David

Although I am a mostly vintage guy I really didn’t play the silver style 2 that much though I loved the engraving. When I acquired a RM-1 that was more of a mainstream instrument that sounded great and cut through even a big jam. When someone made me an offer for the 2 I jumped.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I've dressed the frets now and they're okay. I also re-ebonised the fretboard which I had rubbed down with wire wool. I made a couple of bridges today and fitted an all Maple one which plays very well. I've tuned it to E with 11 to 40 strings and it's a good gutsy sound so I'll stick with this tuning, it will be good for songs. The action is a bit high but I've got plenty of saddle left to lower it. It's all working out very well, just a case to sort out now. DT