Thread: Mystery "Corina" Mandolin

Default Mystery "Corina" Mandolin

Hey folks, happy new year! I recently bought this Mandolin from a friend and I'm having difficulty finding information about it, so I thought I'd ask the experts here!

The headstock says "Corina" and has a torch/flowerpot inlay similar to old Gibsons. There is no serial number. My friend bought it in Germany 4-5 years ago and suspects it was not used for quite some time before that. He has a hunch that it was made in Japan (because of the Suzuki tailpiece) and he also thinks it was probably made in the 70s. I'm not convinced that either of these are true - tailpieces are easy to change, and if it's from the 70s it is in excellent shape.

I've done google searches and nothing comes up beside a few "Corina" A-style mandolins for sale at a shop in California. That sale listing also has no information - and the picture does show "Corina", but no inlay. I've also used the search function on this forum. The lack of serial number and lack of information in general makes me think it was made by a lesser known luthier, who may have been going for a similar inlay look as the Gibson design. Maybe someone here has seen another one of these?

If anyone can notice details in these photos, I'd love any and all insight! It plays beautifully and I'd love to know more about it's potential age and history, as well as what type of wood it might be.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230105_175917.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	455.1 KB 
ID:	205308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230105_175939.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	995.3 KB 
ID:	205310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230105_180049.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1,000.9 KB 
ID:	205311
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230105_162138.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	514.5 KB 
ID:	205307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230105_180249.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	994.5 KB 
ID:	205309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230105_162105.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	593.1 KB 
ID:	205304  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230105_162114.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	205305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230105_162124.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	602.8 KB 
ID:	205306  

Default Re: Mystery "Corina" Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Razzledazz View Post
    Hey folks, happy new year! I recently bought this Mandolin from a friend and I'm having difficulty finding information about it, so I thought I'd ask the experts here!

The headstock says "Corina" and has a torch/flowerpot inlay similar to old Gibsons. There is no serial number. My friend bought it in Germany 4-5 years ago and suspects it was not used for quite some time before that. He has a hunch that it was made in Japan (because of the Suzuki tailpiece) and he also thinks it was probably made in the 70s. I'm not convinced that either of these are true - tailpieces are easy to change, and if it's from the 70s it is in excellent shape.

I've done google searches and nothing comes up beside a few "Corina" A-style mandolins for sale at a shop in California. That sale listing also has no information - and the picture does show "Corina", but no inlay. I've also used the search function on this forum. The lack of serial number and lack of information in general makes me think it was made by a lesser known luthier, who may have been going for a similar inlay look as the Gibson design. Maybe someone here has seen another one of these?

If anyone can notice details in these photos, I'd love any and all insight! It plays beautifully and I'd love to know more about it's potential age and history, as well as what type of wood it might be.

Thanks!
    The truss rod cover having three screws is generally a sign of an import mandolin. The tuners are not high end tuners as far as I can see but the angle is a little extreme to identify the actual manufacturer of the tuners. The tailpiece may or may not be original and the inlay doesn't tell me much. With that said there was a company selling Corina branded instruments such as bass guitars in West Germany in the 60's-70's. They looked like they were made in Japan. I can't find any other mandolins with that brand name on the cafe. I think your friend was probably right. The inlay by the way is not a whole lot like the Gibson flower pots. If it plays well play it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Here is a Corina branded electric guitar:

https://reverb.com/item/5148823-gree...-string-guitar

I'm assuming you found what was on the Heriz Music site in San Francisco. They are also selling guitars with the same brand name.

They may or may not be related to your mandolin.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The tailpiece cover (if original) was the one used one the Ibanez/Suzuki/... Japonese mandolins of the 70s but the nut is not in the in a slot style that I associate with these instruments (but I do not know their f style range).

The Corina logo looks to be painted on which is somewhat at odds with the inlaid headstock. This suggests to me that it’s a stock instrument which somebody wanted to sell as a “Corina”.