Thread: Looking for vintage tuners for British Made banjolin

Default Looking for vintage tuners for British Made banjolin

Hello
    This is my first post here, so apologies if these questions have already been answered elsewhere.

I am looking to purchase vintage machine heads for a 'British Made' banjo-mandolin.
    Also, I used to have the resonator (metal) and would be interested if anyone has one.

Many thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3091.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	406.9 KB 
ID:	205316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3092.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	423.6 KB 
ID:	205317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3093.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	421.8 KB 
ID:	205318

Default Re: Looking for vintage tuners for British Made banjolin

You have a George Houghton & Son (GH &S) but also known as Reliance made instrument from the mid1930s as that company used the lion couchant motif from the early 30s. The tuners on these were nearly all German made and I think that is true of yours judging by the shape of the buttons I can see. The best way to find these is to search eBay in the UK for vintage banjo mandolins and see if a broken instrument is available. Whether or not they are suitable- in terms of their condition is down to an element of luck. Plenty of these instruments turn up for sale. You may find the tuners on other brands like John Grey that were British made- or assembled in the UK using parts made in a number of places.
    Conveniently, this seller has not shown the tuners but the buttons are a different shape. They are probably spaced to fit the same configuration of the holes in the headstock but you should not assume that is the case!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115275756...Bk9SR-bAkoWxYQ

Edit: You might try messaging this seller and asking him if he has some 1930s banjo mandolin strip tuners for a 1930s George Houghton made instrument. I bought a mandolin off him a while back and another item- a Windsor Whirle badge and he was very helpful I found. He might not be able to help you but he's a British banjo expert. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185184119...Bk9SR-KKk4axYQ
    Last edited by NickR; Jan-06-2023 at 1:45pm.

You need to accurately measure the center post-to-post distance as well as the post diameters. I would guess that some other mandolins imported into the UK might use the same tuners or at least ones that would fit. What is wrong with the ones that are there? Have you tried to lubricate them or are they missing parts? Post some pics in close-up.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It depends upon whether you are trying to make the instrument look “period correct” or simply want to make it tunable/playable. If the latter, it’s possible to adjust the post spacing on a set of tuners by cutting each side into 4 pieces and reducing/widening their position as appropriate.

Bear in mind that the value of these instruments isn’t so great and a good set of tuners could cost you more than the instrument os worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    You need to accurately measure the center post-to-post distance as well as the post diameters. I would guess that some other mandolins imported into the UK might use the same tuners or at least ones that would fit. What is wrong with the ones that are there? Have you tried to lubricate them or are they missing parts? Post some pics in close-up.
    The problem is with the top E. One of the grooves on the pole attached to the peg appears to be squashed. So when it turns it seems to slip after a few turns and the string loses tension. I was considering going at it with a small file. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3096.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	777.5 KB 
ID:	205342

@RayT
    Im somewhat attached to this instrument now, because i replaced the nut and the skin already but ive seen the same instrument complete with case and resonator at a decent price. Im looking into getting spare parts from damaged instruments. Thanks for your reply.

7. The following members say thank you to EddieManjo for this post:

Ray(T) 

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    You have a George Houghton & Son (GH &S) but also known as Reliance made instrument from the mid1930s as that company used the lion couchant motif from the early 30s. The tuners on these were nearly all German made and I think that is true of yours judging by the shape of the buttons I can see. The best way to find these is to search eBay in the UK for vintage banjo mandolins and see if a broken instrument is available. Whether or not they are suitable- in terms of their condition is down to an element of luck. Plenty of these instruments turn up for sale. You may find the tuners on other brands like John Grey that were British made- or assembled in the UK using parts made in a number of places.
    Conveniently, this seller has not shown the tuners but the buttons are a different shape. They are probably spaced to fit the same configuration of the holes in the headstock but you should not assume that is the case!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115275756...Bk9SR-bAkoWxYQ

Edit: You might try messaging this seller and asking him if he has some 1930s banjo mandolin strip tuners for a 1930s George Houghton made instrument. I bought a mandolin off him a while back and another item- a Windsor Whirle badge and he was very helpful I found. He might not be able to help you but he's a British banjo expert. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185184119...Bk9SR-KKk4axYQ
    Thanks for this info.
    Im browsing around for spare parts.