View Poll Results: How often do you tune?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Every time I pick up my Mandolin

81 73.64%
  • Only when I hear it is off-tune

27 24.55%
  • When it is seriously off-tune

1 0.91%
  • Never

1 0.91%
  • I can't tell

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How often do you tune your Mandolin?

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Default Re: How often do you tune your Mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
    ... and they tuned for EVERY SONG.
    10-12 years ago, I got to see Paul Kantner (ex-Jafferson Airplane) play in one of the assorted versions of Jefferson Starship. (Aside: A great show, covering many of the Airplane / Starship hits while exhibiting TOTAL respect to the original performing individuals, most of whom were not there. Just that aspect impressed the heck out of me!)

Anyway, Mr. Kantner used, I think exclusively, Rickenbacker 12-string guitars, which can be fun to keep in tune. He solved that issue by having a rotating group of four, each a different color, that a roadie switched in / out after, yep, EVERY SONG.

Hey, maybe we mandolinists need to hire roadies?
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

I voted every time, as it’s winter here, even in Florida, and I can tell with the temperature and humidity changes, it needs tuning on a daily basis.
    Not so, as soon as the warmer weather comes, and the a/c is on constantly, and everything becomes stable.
    It’s amazing to me how much my stringed instruments change. It’s January here now.
    Warmer, I need to loosen the strings. Cooler, I need to tighten.
    I can’t wait until the weather here becomes stable.
    It’s only 2 months out of the year that this happens.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Warmer = loosen, cooler = tighten. Your post is further evidence to me that at least for those of us in the south, humidity is a bigger factor (top expanding/contracting) than temps (strings expanding/contracting).
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Warmer = loosen, cooler = tighten. Your post is further evidence to me that at least for those of us in the south, humidity is a bigger factor (top expanding/contracting) than temps (strings expanding/contracting).
    I think that's pretty likely, unless you're playing outside and it's particularly cold or hot. I swear I go out an entire half step if it's below 50 degrees. But inside temperatures only fluctuate a few degrees so it doesn't make as big a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    10-12 years ago, I got to see Paul Kantner (ex-Jafferson Airplane) play in one of the assorted versions of Jefferson Starship. (Aside: A great show, covering many of the Airplane / Starship hits while exhibiting TOTAL respect to the original performing individuals, most of whom were not there. Just that aspect impressed the heck out of me!)

Anyway, Mr. Kantner used, I think exclusively, Rickenbacker 12-string guitars, which can be fun to keep in tune. He solved that issue by having a rotating group of four, each a different color, that a roadie switched in / out after, yep, EVERY SONG.

Hey, maybe we mandolinists need to hire roadies?
    You were very lucky to see him in person. I’m a big fan of the early Jefferson Airplane songs. The album, “Crown of Creation” was recorded in mono.
    I was just too young at the time to travel to San Francisco to see them play live.
    Still, my favorite album of theirs is “After bathing at Baxter’s.”
    Their song, “Greasy Heart” is another good one. I understand that Marty Balin has passed away, along with many other fine artists.
    I remember my grandfather talking about his friends, adding, that “He’s gone now.” I guess that’s how life is. The longer we live, the more people that leave us.
    At my age, I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop. I hope it’s not too soon, as I have many things I want to do, and many new songs to learn.
    Keep playing your songs for yourself, and for others. Enjoy life. Life is too short. You will realize this when you get older.
    God bless you all.