Thread: Improvisation

Default Improvisation

I tried improvising for the first time. Didn't really rock over the fretboard (rather most often just used one string at a time), but it was very much fun! The backing track was made by my father. The software he was using is called "Garage Band".

Let me know what you think! I've been playing for around 8 months, on and off.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Improvisation

sorry man couldn't play the file, something about the mp4a format,
    if you don't want to do youtube videos, you can do audio only on sound cloud or band camp, posting is usually free.
    what are you using to record and generate the file if I may ask?
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Hey! thanks for letting me know. I did it with the VLC Player - converted the wav-file to an mp4.
    I converted it now to an mp3. Good tip with the soundcloud. I uploaded them there

https://soundcloud.com/wodi-ohara/papa2-v1
    https://soundcloud.com/wodi-ohara/papa2-v2

its very good, very cool approach, I think you have some room to grow technically (don't we all),
    Your right hand could be strengthened (more tone), there was some "hunt and peck" moments , just a matter of getting more familiar with the fretboard and expanding your pallet.
    You're in a great place now so with time and passion you will be fine.

There are a lot of great swing players like Jethro or Don Steinberg, who is your inspiration?
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

Thank you very much for your feedback! "hunt and peck" is a cool phrase. Haven't heard that one befor but definitly fits.
    I just played by feeling and if it sounded off I tried to quickly change the tone.

That Don Steinberg dude sounds great. Listening to this record now:

Hard to name an inspiriation for these two recordings, but I have been listening to jazz and blues all my life and from early childhood on because my father is also much into these genres. I think I just remembered some rhythms and got lucky with some of the notes.

My recording setup is an audio-interface "Scarlett 2i2" and a mic called "EM-91C" from Mackie.
    With the interface came a software called "Abbleton live". Pretty neat program that is. I did the recording with it.

You will definitely want to check out Homer and Jethro "ain't necessarily square" and "playing it straight"

David Grisman has a lot of Gypsy Jazz stuff.

Don posts here occasionally - Check the Jazz section, Pete Martin has a lot of swing tutorials as well.

I use the focus rite scarlet 2 as well, the technology has come a long way since I started!
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

Oh wow dude! Just turned on "ain't necessarily square" now on spotify. I like it very much, straight away.
    Thanks for the hint! And I will check out these sections you named. There is yet so much to discover for me.

I played the ukulele a bit befor the mandolin and had the interface then already. With the interface I got myself two monitors and I couldnt be happier with the sound. They are some Fostex Models, not too big but so clear. Even more so since I got this denoise-modul. Gotta say I'm quite happy with my setup.

8. The following members say thank you to slepa for this post: