Thread: 6 string to tenor conversion

Default 6 string to tenor conversion

Got to thinking about converting a Martin Dreadnought Junior into a tenor guitar.

Take the original neck off. Replace it with a custom made 13 fret (Gibson made a 13 fret Nick Lucas in the the 1920’s) neck with a 22.65 scale. This would allow the bridge to remain in it’s original position. Plug the two outside bridge pin holes.

What do you think?
    Dave Schneider

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: 6 string to tenor conversion

People on this have been doing similar conversions for many years, there are a few issues to contend with.
    Six string guitars are braced to take 120-160lb of string tension, most tenor guitars use half of that at around 70-90lb so you wont get the best from the soundboard.
    Tenor guitar necks are considerably narrower than a six string so the area where the new neck attaches to the body will be difficult to make good and not look an eye sore.
    However there are lots of people who are happy with their own conversions and if you are really keen, the above mentioned potential issues can be addressed and sorted.

Not quite what you're suggesting (it's not a replaced neck), but this turned up on GC today: Martin DJR10 Tenor Conversion

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000000118622090-00-720x720.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	205361

I guess my point was that by making a new neck you don't have to compromize with a longer then desired scale length or wider then desired neck. i have been building my own instruments from scratch for 60 years. Just a thought. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	267.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	631.6 KB 
ID:	205371
    Dave Schneider

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Hi Dave, it is all good fun and quite a challenge to complete a satisfactory conversion, I also enjoy doing 8 string conversions as six string bracing is more suited and you dont even need to change a six string pin bridge!