Thread: RIP Steve James

Default RIP Steve James

Steve James, roots musician and author of a popular method book on blues mandolin, has passed away in Seattle. He was 72.

https://acousticguitar.com/rememberi...n-steve-james/
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Default Re: RIP Steve James

I'm very sorry to hear this. I learned a great deal about blues mandolin from James's book and CD and from his DVD's. He was down-to-earth and straightforward, though he couldn't play a blues tune the same way twice in a row, which was a mite frustrating for a beginner but was a lesson in itself about playing blues. I also had an email exchange with him regarding mandolin-banjos, in which he gave his blessing to my purchase of a Little Wonder from a third party before I bought the instrument. Steve was friendly, helpful, and humorous. His death is a loss to blues mandolin and guitar players. Blessings to his loved ones.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Steve was one of my first guitar instructors (having played for 25 years with no instruction) at the Augusta Folklore Center in 1995. He was a great person - down to earth, full of stories, a fantastic guitar and mandolin picker, and a very good teacher. Over the years I'd see him various venues & he'd always have time to chat. Haven't seen him in the last 10 years but am saddened by this loss.

RIP Steve. He was always a very nice guy when I would see him at Swannanoa.