Thread: Help Researching Unusual Mandolin

Default Help Researching Unusual Mandolin

Hiya,

I inherited this unusual mandolin from my wife's family.

Her grandfather played this mandolin in the 40s and 50s, and her aunt said it was made by a family friend but she doesn't know when.

There are no marks on the inside. It's really light weight - no obvious structural problems.

Anyone seen one like this before? Have any information on type, design, woods, etc? Or could point me somewhere else to look?

Thank you. (And I assume the bowlback in the first picture isn't anything special, but let me know if I should upload pics of that too.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	205376

Name:	mandolin2.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	205377

Name:	mandolin3.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	205378

Name:	mandolin4.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	312.6 KB 
ID:	205379

Name:	mandolin5.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	205380

Name:	mandolin6.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	330.3 KB 
ID:	205381

Name:	mandolin8.jpeg 
Views:	99 
Size:	362.6 KB 
ID:	205382

Name:	mandolin9.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	335.9 KB 
ID:	205383

Name:	mandolin10.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	259.4 KB 
ID:	205384

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandokismet For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Help Researching Unusual Mandolin

Very cool looking mandolin and it looks well-made as well. I have seen a few other mandolins with sound holes on the side and perhaps even one or two with no sound holes on the top.

Looks like rosewood, probably Brazilian, on the back and sides. I am sure the tuner obsessed folks will chime in here… I will leave that to them. I wonder what the bracing is like inside. I am assuming it was constructed with an induce arch to the top and possibly the back. So… how does it sound?

Do you have some more background on your wife’s grandfather: the places he lived and when he lived? And you were able to look inside everywhere (top and back and corners?) to see if there were any markings. I got a cheap video camera that works with a cell phone has a light and a flexible wire that you can insert in the soundholes to explore the inside of the mandolin. Mine is a little too cheap. I think I bought it from International Violin. I have seen ones that looked a lot better on Amazon. I think the technical name is endoscope.

That bowlback also looks like it has some nice woods. Post pics of that too, when you get a chance.

I will look in my jpeg files to see what I can find that may resemble this one. Very cool.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Looks like the tailpiece in not original based on the other holes drilled in the end. Looks like there might be some wood loss from the lower wing of the "F-hole" too.
    A very interesting mandolin regardless. Hopefully some more info can be shared.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

6. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Here's some looks inside the F-hole. I looked around pretty closely and don't see any markings, though there is a good layer of dust...

Name:	mandolin12.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	205388

Name:	mandolin13.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	205389

8. The following members say thank you to mandokismet for this post:

And separately, here are some pictures of the bowlback, which looks like a Fernando del Perugia from 1912 (?) 1962 (?)...

My wife's aunt says she bought the mandolin for her dad while studying abroad in Italy in the 1960s...

Name:	bowlback3.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	346.7 KB 
ID:	205390

Name:	bowlback.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	429.7 KB 
ID:	205391

Name:	bowlback2.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	281.8 KB 
ID:	205392

Name:	bowlback4.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	205393

10. The following members say thank you to mandokismet for this post:

I would conclude that the hardware on the mandolin cannot be used to date it and I would assume that the family knowledge of when it was first played back in the 1940s is when it was made. It has already been mentioned that there are holes near the tailpiece. This may mean that the wood for the sides and possibly elsewhere may have been used on another instrument before this was constructed. One thing for sure, it is very interesting and very nicely made and is pretty unique which is great.

12. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Looking at the tuners, the pickguard material, and the wood used as well as the family memory of it being played in the 40's and 50's I would assume 30-40's simply because that firestripe pickguard material was commonly used during that time and the tuners would be age appropriate. I would assume that the original tailpiece failed and was replaced with what is currently there. If the luthier was competent enough to build that mandolin he sure as heck wouldn't have left the holes from a previous tailpiece.

The design is actually quite sleek. The shape is a little different from what we generally see from that era and they did a really nice job with the end of the fretboard. The wood is great, the binding looks good, and the little almost open book headstock shape is tasteful. All in all even with the tailpiece holes a nice mandolin.

Now for the caveat. The value in this mandolin lies in the sentimental value to your family. Although it is a well built unusual piece, instruments of unknown origins even when this nice rarely have a huge monetary value. That doesn't mean that nobody would buy it it just means that you won't put a kid through college with it but you might get a really nice evening out for the family or maybe two depending on the size of your family.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

14. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I discounted using the tuners to help date the mandolin because they are brass plate "worm under" Waverly items made from the first twenty five years of the century and possibly a few decades before this mandolin was made. I would reckon the maker who was clearly a skilled person had access to instruments and chose what was available that he needed. There may have been a different tailpiece on it when it was made and may well have been a two piece Waverly type that would complement the mandolin nicely with its style that is slightly reminiscent of certain Martin models. It was made with a great deal of thought and the result speaks for itself- a very interesting instrument and presumably, unique, too.

At first I thought it might have had a Waverly type tailpiece but decided the top holes were too far down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waverly-tailpiece.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	205394  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Not looking to be picky, but ...

Yes, the replacement tailpiece is off-center. The bad effect is that, where the strings pass over the bridge, the A (2nd) course is almost straight while the G & D courses bend far more than the E course. If actively played, those unbalanced "centering" forces may cause the bridge to migrate toward the treble side, and the E strings to slide over the fret ends. Just something to be aware of.

Edit: Looking again, and attempting to measure on my monitor, it appears that the original tailpiece had been mounted off toward the bass side, by about the width of one screw-hole. Over-compensation?
    Last edited by EdHanrahan; Jan-09-2023 at 10:16am.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

18. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

The mandolin also has an end/tail strip which is unusual- not least because the tailpiece often obscures much of the area rendering the little flourish to being somewhat otiose. My Oscar Schmidt Tremolina has an end strip but it also has that fixed bridge with its string loop location in the bridge on the top- so no tailpiece, leaving the strip unobscured. So, the holes do not suggest a Waverly type bridge? I certainly would expect a more visually enhancing tailpiece as there has been much attention to detail- while also as discussed, the current tailpiece is misaligned it seems and that is probably another sign, the tailpiece is a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Do you have some more background on your wife’s grandfather: the places he lived and when he lived?
    I have a feeling that you missed this question I asked. Sometimes just knowing geographically the places your grandfather-in-law lived might give us a clue where this mystery luthier worked. Or any other info where he visited. Or anything...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks for everyone's input. It's really interesting. Planning to hang onto it as a family heirloom - the F-hole was the one the grandfather played the most.

The grandfather who played it lived in Seattle, but he grew up in Vancouver, WA near Portland. I don't know whether the builder family friend was in one or the other.

22. The following members say thank you to mandokismet for this post:

Blog Entries

That side F-hole mando is wickedly kool! I've never seen one like it that I can remember anyways. From all I see it looks like a 30's build. And one would think those guitars that have no soundhole on the top but on the sides were innovative! This one has that beat. Enjoy.

I just decided to go through Mike Holmes long list of old luthiers (for various instruments) and culled out those in WA and OR:

Luthiers OR/WA

Anderson, Albert M. Seattle WA 1924
    Joyness & Means Portland OR from 1897
    Merrill, Albert Herve Portland OR 1915-1925+
    Polychronis, William Jim Portland OR 1926
    Violian Harp Co. Portland OR from 1917
    Coulter, F.E. Portland OR c 1917
    Forrest, Albert J. Seattle WA 1898
    Hawkinson, Olaf Seattle WA 1926
    Lewis, George T. Seattle WA 1909
    Lewis, John L. Seattle WA 1920
    Neft, Max Seattle WA 1920
    Oakes, William W. Seattle WA 1901
    Venen, Albert P. Seattle WA 1892
    Berge, Franz R.L. Port Angeles WA 1923
    Blair, George H. Spokane WA 1903
    Childs, James E. Spokane WA 1903
    Gregg, George F. Yakima WA 1948
    Hagberg, John Tacoma WA 1898
    Knutsen, Chris Port Townsend WA c1898-1916
    Lambert, Thomas B. Spokane WA 1923
    Lively, Lawrence Spokane WA 1923
    Livermore, Ernest N. Port Townsend WA 1896
    Markham, Roland J. Spokane WA 1926
    Merritt, Charles H. Bellingham WA 1928
    Spencer, George M. Oroville WA 1910
    Stallone, Barney A. Tacoma WA 1931
    Thaldorf, William A. New Whatcom WA 1901
    Van Deventer, William Tacoma WA 1891
    Doughton, Charles F. Lebanon OR 1907
    Howard, Reubin Parkdale OR 1928
    I know it is a long list and some may not have made any mandolins but you can do some research on at least some of these. Years are those this person was active.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

25. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: