Thread: Fiddle and Banjo recordings

Default Fiddle and Banjo recordings

I apologize for the lack of mandolin content, but figured this group might be able to help.

I feel in love with all things bluegrass in the '90s and spent most of the next 15 years in a bluegrass bubble, playing mandolin in a traditional band, hitting multiple festivals each year, and consuming every recording I could get my hands on. Though my tastes moved away from bluegrass and into jazz and, well all other music, really, I still feel rooted in bluegrass, Americana, and the mando, guitar, fiddle, banjo, bass, sometimes resonator world.

As my life and tastes moved away from 'that world of bluegrass', I found myself pining for good old fiddle and banjo. Looking back, it seems this was a fairly rare occurrence. Maybe one cut on every tenth album and maybe one brief stint on stage at a festival. For example, I have probably seen the Del McCoury band 25 times but only recall seeing Jason Carter and Rob M doing a duet once. But something about a fiddle and a banjo - with no other instrumentation or vocals - playing a traditional, and often basic, tune really creates something magical. The interplay of finger picking vs bowing, the staccato vs droning. . . The cognitive dissonance that somehow seems so. . . perfect.

And now that I am searching the streaming services and the YouTube, I struggle to find a few definitive recordings that feature the fiddle banjo duets. And I ask, what have ye for me to consume? I realize a lot of it is probably old time and not bluegrass, and maybe this is a sign from the universe that I need to spend more time there?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience,

Chris

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fiddle and Banjo recordings

Bruce molsky and Tony trischka : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=103EvssaPIw
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Blog Entries

Big fan of anything Jake Blount does. Here's a great track from his album Spider Tales from a few years ago. He's also a talented fiddle player as well as old-time style banjo.

4. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Jane Rothfield...

In 2008 Jane did an entire recording of fiddle and banjo duets with different banjo players called "I Fiddle-They Banjo"

Her website is www.janerothfield.com

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...y_WDsWTG1FwL78
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

The fiddle & banjo combination is all over Old Time music. You could spend a lifetime down that rabbit hole. Not so much in Bluegrass, which is a large (by comparison) ensemble form.

Great stuff and thanks everyone so far for providing me with exploration material!

Chris,
    Here are a couple I am involved with:

https://www.youtube.com/@fiddleandbanjo837

https://www.youtube.com/@jimwoodonlineacousticmusic2854

Many John Harford tunes on the second one. Check the playlist - All the Bullies have Gone to Rest.

Hope you enjoy,

Michael

I really like George Jackson's album Hair & Hide

https://georgejacksonmusic.bandcamp.com/album/hair-hide

+1 on Jake Blount
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Johnny Warren and Charlie Cushman! Sounds just for the world like Earl and Johnny's daddy, Paul, back in the good ol' days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXe3WbIggu0

They have an album or two as well.

Also, Gerald Evans and Joe Mullins have a pretty great BG fiddle and banjo recording from a few years back: Five String and a Fiddle, I think.

Then there's Michael Cleveland and Tom Adams' Live At The Ragged Edge CD, if you want your tradition with a little wilder edge on it.
    Barry

2020 Northfield 4th Gen #14
    Pavel Sucek F-5 w/Skip Kelly top
    1996 BellMaster F-5 (Carl Cates)
    A bunch of fiddles and a couple D-28s

Man, this is great! How did I miss all this stuff?

Lukas and Eden Pool. Here’s one example of many.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Bob Carlin, Banging and Sawing… some cuts have guitar added but great fiddlers— James Bryan, Bruce Molsky, Judy Hyman and Brad Leftwich—playing with Bob.

Playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OL...sVnkrQ7d_6ptSQ
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1