Thread: Sympathetic String Buzz/resonance

Default Sympathetic String Buzz/resonance

Hi Everyone, Can you help me with this?

I'm a newish mandolin player and my Eastman mandolin is about a year old and has always had an issue where the G & D strings start to hum as I play the A & E string. I was told by some that this was a sign of a well built instrument that makes good sound (...and it does). But, the drone is starting to get annoying.

Check this out: I dampened the string above the nut and below the bridge and this does not help. It's actually just the playable part of the strings. I can use part of my hand to mute the G, D strings between the bridge and nut and it goes away. This makes the A & E sound so clear and bright without the humming...but of course I can't always babysit these two strings. I've changed the strings about three times and it's always the same. I laced a shoe string around the playable part of the G & D string next to the bridge hoping it would dampen it a little but it just doesn't.

Any ideas? Is this just how mandolins are?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Sympathetic String Buzz/resonance

another case of a lively resonant eastman (send it back, ask for a dull one). check this thread:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...olin-wolf-tone

3. The following members say thank you to mandocello8 for this post:

Nilo 

Default Re: Sympathetic String Buzz/resonance

Thanks...that was helpful.
    I'm off to the luther it seems.