Thread: Gibson K-185 Mandocello

Default Gibson K-185 Mandocello

Thought the cafe members might get a kick out of my “K-185”.

See YouTube link below.

Best,
    Tim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn3rl7-5DR0

2. The following members say thank you to Tstrings1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gibson K-185 Mandocello

Great job on the conversion, Killer maple on that beast! it sounds mighty fine.

Blog Entries

I have a question, did you change the bracing? What is the bracing on those styles of Gibson guitars. I may try to do a conversion along the lines of what you did sometime in the future. I'd also want to do the maple body as for me I love that really bright tone that wood gives off. Cafe member friend Bernie Danial has done a handful of mandocello conversions from old archtops, not sure if he's done any with flat tops.

That's so good. Gonna' start a new business? I've got a Gibson AG Parlor in EIR (the shrunken version of the 185) that I'm not playing as a guitar at the moment...

I've done two of these now as part of my luthier/ repair business here in Wisco. The other one was a 1930s spruce/maple Regal. Had to put a truss rod and new fingerboard on that one! Both flat top conversions have been stable with no issues with the neck or body. I haven’t looked at string tension specs for a set of mandocello strings, but that info is available. The gibson is standard x bracing and the regal had a modified ladder/H bracing I think. Both projects were A BUNCH OF WORK. I was inspired to do these conversions after playing a Santa Cruz mandocello which was basically a J45 slope D body. Really wanted to buy that one but, Santa Cruz guitars are above my usual $ comfort zone! Overall it’s been a successful endeavor and can be done to different levels. I've seen conversions where the neck is not removed or changed other than the tuners. But if a job is worth doing…The neck shaping/headstock change is the biggest part of the conversion time. Have fun!!

7. The following members say thank you to Tstrings1 for this post:

Neat conversion and I really enjoyed your playing!