Thread: Loar Era Mandolin at Goodwill

Default Loar Era Mandolin at Goodwill

This madolin at goodwill has a Loar era flower vase. The heel is cracked but the vase is intact.
    https://shopgoodwill.com/item/158356526

Default Re: Loar Era Madolin at Goodwill

Did an image search to see what this thing might be; can’t tell. It’s a real stretch for SGW to mention Loar, but I don’t think they’re claiming that this is even a Gibson. That the neck let go is a clue that we’re not looking at anything wonderful, but there’s always some tiny possibility!
    We’ll see what it goes for; already too high for wall art.

That is a not any Loar era mandolin and certainly not a Gibson. It is not even a The Loar mandolin. It looks like a generic asian-made F5 copy. The lack of a name on the headstock and the terribly made scroll are additional clues. I doubt it is even solid woods. Sorry….
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jan-15-2023 at 12:47pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The scroll and the heavy finish on the bindings say 70s Japan to me. I suspect that SGW have simply got their Loars and their Fs crossed!

5. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

That’s some thick lacquer. And a nasty heel crack.

That’s a pass from me.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by laddyjota View Post
    This madolin at goodwill has a Loar era flower vase. The heel is cracked but the vase is intact.
    https://shopgoodwill.com/item/158356526
    The goodwill employee was suggesting that the inlay was just like the one used in the holy "Loar Era". In fact, if that is a real MOP vase it is probably worth more than the rest of the mad mad madolin. Actually, I have a wheel barrow from the Loar Era and it still works like new.

Quote Originally Posted by laddyjota View Post
    The goodwill employee was suggesting that the inlay was just like the one used in the holy "Loar Era".
    I get that, but it should probably be mentioned in the description not in the listing title. It could be a bit misleading for some "madolin" buyers.

Default Re: Loar Era Mandolin at Goodwill

Doubtful anyone who is in a position to purchase a "signed Loar" for "signed Loar" money would be fooled or would "take a chance" on something without asking others at the very least. OTOH, for a couple hundred bucks somebody might have some fun with it -- glue and clamp and maybe treat it to a "The Gibson" decal!

I don't blame Goodwill for their lack of knowledge. It is a business model that has worked for them over 100 years -- why change it?

I chuckle at those who feel they are bypassing the normal retail and vintage prices by shopping at shopgoodwill.com -- this forum proves time and time again that rare stuff goes for rare stuff money, regardless of lack of pedigree. Even the beat-up stuff.

As others have said, this particular instrument is nothing to get excited about, even if it does go cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    That is a not any Loar era mandolin and certainly not a Gibson. It is not even a The Loar mandolin. It looks like a generic asian-made F5 copy. The lack of a name on the headstock and the terribly made scroll are additional clues. I doubt it is even solid woods. Sorry….
    Well, you are certainly right. But then again, they are not claiming that it is a mandolin! They clearly call it a madolin!

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Well, you are certainly right. But then again, they are not claiming that it is a mandolin! They clearly call it a madolin!
    Marcel Proust's favorite instrument!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    rare stuff goes for rare stuff money,.
    And the corollary, if it ain't rare stuff money, it is likely not rare stuff.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

When Goodwill ad copy writers get hep to the Larson Brothers….look out.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Teacher, repair person

. . . don't even think it . . .

I feel like one of the copywriters at Goodwill knows we are watching and is playing a game with us. Or it's some sort of SEO Optimization goes awry.