Thread: Two new works with mandolin by Clark Nichols

Clark Nichols, Composer

Post Two new works with mandolin by Clark Nichols

Hey everyone! Long time lurker, first-time caller. I'm an American mandolinist and composer, and I wanted to share two of my more recent works for mandolin with all of you. One is for solo mandolin, and the other is for mandolin and string quartet. For both recordings I collaborated with the incredible mandolin Virtuoso Alon Sariel, and for the recording of the piece for mandolin and string quartet we also collaborated with Airis String Quartet.

Invocation and Verses - Mandolin and String Quartet

This work, from 2021, was written for my master's thesis in music composition at the San Francisco Conservatory of Music. In this work I explore the mandolin as a natural extension of the sound of a string quartet. The players really blew me away with their sensitivity and energy in this performance!

Listen Here

Until They Have Driven Out the Grief

This work also received its premiere from Alon Sariel with a very stunning and intimate performance in Germany. He brought so much nuance to the work that I didn't even know was there. It sounded like a completely different piece than how I play it. I wrote this piece in response to a rather difficult 2 years. The program note can be found in the youtube video description if you are curious to learn more.

Listen Here

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lochness For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Two new works with mandolin by Clark Nichols

Hi Clark,

Very beautiful and compelling, both pieces. Are you planning on publishing these (particularly, the solo work, as I would like to play it), or otherwise make the scores available?
    Robert A. Margo

4. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

Clark Nichols, Composer

Yes Robert, these works are actually available by contacting me through the form on my website. This way I can keep track of performances and the such!

https://clarknicholscomposer.com/

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lochness For This Useful Post:

"Yes Robert, these works are actually available by contacting me through the form on my website."

Done, thanks.
    Robert A. Margo

Invocation and Verses
    Beautiful use of the characteristics of each instrument: the sustain and portamento of the bowed strings against the "ping" and rapid arpeggios of the mandolin. Very nice piece, and the playing was crystal clear when it needed to be. Thank you for this composition.
    Jim

Dr James S Imhoff
    Boston University
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

1912 Gibson K4 Mandocello; Thomann Mandocello; Stiver F5; American? Bowlback; Martin 00016; Dusepo Cittern/liuto cantabile

Clark Nichols, Composer

Thanks for listening Jim! Glad you enjoyed the piece !

Groovy. I love the use of diverse colors and effects, of gradual transition from a sounded note to a muted percussive effect to a harmonic, etc. The music itself is richly evocative and deliciously idiomatic.

And welcome, Clark!

Clark Nichols, Composer

Glad you liked it Eugene. Thanks for listening !