Thread: Kevlar/Carbon Sorensen Sprite recording - Deadliest Catch Edition

Default Kevlar/Carbon Sorensen Sprite recording - Deadliest Catch Edition

More than a decade ago, I had the delightful opportunity to build a custom Sorensen Pacifica mandolin for film and television sound guru Bob Bronow.

Bob's Pacifica build history is recorded HERE.

Bob, has become an award winning sound-magic celebrity for his team's stunning work cleaning up the rough, ocean crashing, engine grinding, sound from the Discovery series "Deadliest Catch".

So, when I got a recording of the brilliant Patrick Sauber playing the new prototype of the Kevlar/Carbon Sorensen Sprite Two-Point while at the "South States 48" Jam in Carlsbad,CA ... which was buried under background crowd and jam noise ... I asked Bob if he could help with a little of his "Deadliest Catch" mix magic.

So here it is -- a quick video of Patrick picking, with substantially less background noise, and some still shots of the mandolin added too --

To say the least, I was excited to have a first version which delivered a good bit of the complex and nuanced tone that I work to achieve with wood mandolins! Bob's clean-up of the background noise really made a difference to my ears.

Of course, Patrick is one of the greatest multi-instrumentalist artists around ... so that helps too.

I am currently working on prototype versions 2 and 3, and will have a lot more details about the process and the mandolins available soon.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Steve Sorensen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Kevlar/Carbon Sorensen Sprite recording - Deadliest Catch Edi

Spunds great Steve!!! Keep up the good work.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL