Thread: Gig bag for MT?

Anyone have any ideas on this?

My friend has a colorado case company one which i liked... but still looking.
    www.bigdrawbluegrass.com

Voight A-5
    Bayard GBOM

I'm a big fan of the Boulder Alpine gig bag... Available at Elderly and Gianna Violins (Steve Perry's shop) and other places, I'm sure. They come in 3 colors (tan, dark green, dark blue) and are made out of backpack material on the outside... are very well padded. They have excellent outfittng- including padded backpack straps (adjustable and also removable for those times you want a more streamlined case), a plastic reinforced handle, and two different loops for hanging the whole unit up, and several small zipper pockets for misc. picks, tuner, stuff. one of which has spots for pens and such.

Honestly, I'm really surprised these aren't more popular or discussed. They're about $30 bucks, so very affordable. They are cut to accommodate either an A or and F style mando. I got one recently for my Breedlove Quartz (A-ish) and was happy to find that it was quite a good fit despite the extra space in there for a scroll. Turns out my strap rolls up nicely in that spot. I also like that they're not black... possibly would cook less in the hot sun. It even has an exterior mesh pocket designed to hold a small water bottle.

The only drawback I can see immediately is that none of the pockets are big enough for a flat page of sheet music..that'd have to go in the case or a separate bag if you need to carry sheet music. The little pockets might be overkill...but a friend of mine who also has one said she loved it for festival use b/c she could put her wallet and keys, etc. in those pockets and didn't need to carry another bag around.

I gotta say...I think this is a very well designed piece of gear that is attractive and well put-together. I haven't had it long enough to report on its durability first hand... but it appears to be put together much like backpacks are, and I'd expect it to wear very well based on how it looks/feels.

check it out
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!