Thread: Gibson Tailpiece

Default Gibson Tailpiece

I have a 2018 Gibson Fern. One of the prongs on the tailpiece bent and broke off. Any suggestions? Does Gibson sell tailpieces separately? Do I need to consider another brand?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Gibson Tailpiece

You can call them and see if anyone there knows how to find a tailpiece, write an invoice, and box it up.
    But if that doesn't work, Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments sells very nice reproduction tailpieces, made by Prucha, and stamped with the Gibson logo.

https://gregboyd.com/product/prucha-...son-logo-gold/

You can also cut the broken prong sides deeper and bend a new piece up, it will be shorter, but it will still work.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

4. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

I'd email or call Gibson and get in touch with the mando section as yours being a 2018 it shouldn't have broken, they may just replace it if you send them the base. David Harvey-head mando man is on fakebook, I doubt he'd be angry if you contacted him there to get the ball rolling as he's a super great man!

Contacting Gibson Customer Service has never worked out well for mandolin issues. Best to go directly to Dave Harvey. I am assuming you can still send him a Personal Message at his Cafe account:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/members/134-dhmando

The Greg Boyd's Prucha tailpieces are excellent but the cover on your fern is a whole lot nicer than the one you get from Boyd. If it will fit on the Prucha base just buy the plain Prucha and save a few bucks. I don't know if the Prucha tailpiece base is gold. You may want to check with Greg Boyd on that.

https://gregboyd.com/product-categor...rdware/page/3/

The other possibility would be to get a James tailpiece in gold with the Gibson name engraved on it.

https://www.axinc.net/James_Mandolin...iece_p/jtt.htm
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jan-18-2023 at 10:06am.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Well there may be a problem with using one from Boyd or the James are the holes for the screws. Are they the same?

Quote Originally Posted by banjoboy View Post
    Well there may be a problem with using one from Boyd or the James are the holes for the screws. Are they the same?
    Chances are they will be close. The bigger problem will be the hole for the end pin. James slightly elongates that hole to adjust for the difference. As much as we can talk standards there can be small difference but I believe Prucha may be the supplier to Gibson, I'm not sure. Either way the Prucha should be close. I've had a few friends that replaced theirs with the Prucha. You can give Bill James a call and get the dimensions for the holes. There are several threads here where people have documented installing a James tailpiece including one by e where I put one on a Korean Mandola that was way off the standard screws patterns.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jan-18-2023 at 10:45am.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Chances are they will be close. The bigger problem will be the hole for the end pin. James slightly elongates that hole to adjust for the difference. As much as we can talk standards there can be small difference but I believe Prucha may be the supplier to Gibson, I'm not sure. Either way the Prucha should be close. I've had a few friends that replaced theirs with the Prucha. You can give Bill James a call and get the dimensions for the holes. There are several threads here where people have documented installing a James tailpiece including one by e where I put one on a Korean Mandola that was way off the standard screws patterns.
    I can add two things about the James...

When I got mine in ~2019, I specifically asked Bill if they were available with a Gibson logo. I was ordering mine in nickel plating. Logo was not available from axinc.net at that time, due to some legal issues. That may have changed by now, worth checking.

The new tailpiece fit on my 2002 Gibson F-9 was a perfect match for the original Gibson tailpiece, with exactly the same screw/hole placement; the endnpin hole was slightly elongated, but the endpin covered the complete hole. In fact the installation was so easy, I was able to still use my exact same strings.

They are great tailpieces, and Bill James' service is excellent.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I just installed a James on my 2017 Gibson. It was a direct fit other that the screws that come with the James are a bit lager. Very simple install. I spoke directly with Bill James, He said he was not able to offer a Gibson engraved tail piece. Super nice guy.

Adam

What are the prongs on the James like? Are they the similar to the Gibson? Are they thicker, could they also be prone to bending? I spoke to Dave. He said that the Gibson tailpiece prongs might be prone to bending if you don't make sure that the string loop is firmly set at the base of the prong. That way, there is nothing to bend. If the loop is set anywhere else on the prong, it might cause the prong to bend.

He said that the Gibson tailpiece prongs might be prone to bending if you don't make sure that the string loop is firmly set at the base of the prong. That way, there is nothing to bend. If the loop is set anywhere else on the prong, it might cause the prong to bend.
    My experience also.

Blog Entries

What are the prongs on the James like? Are they the similar to the Gibson? Are they thicker, could they also be prone to bending? I spoke to Dave. He said that the Gibson tailpiece prongs might be prone to bending if you don't make sure that the string loop is firmly set at the base of the prong. That way, there is nothing to bend. If the loop is set anywhere else on the prong, it might cause the prong to bend.
    Good that you spoke with Dave, it's always helpful to be able to talk to the master builder...

The James tailpiece is completely cast, and according to Bill made of a bronze alloy. The prongs are part of the casting and are set high enough at the opening that there is no bending to fit a string in under them. They may gradually get tighter, if they do it is subtle and I can't see serious graduation with the strings in place.

Regarding the screws that are included with the James tailpiece being larger, I noticed that too. I just used the original screws that came with the original Gibson tailpiece. As mentioned earlier, the screw hole spacing was identical.

I did a casual 2-handed weighing of my original Gibson tailpiece and of my James tailpiece before installing the James, and they felt extremely similar in weight. But the James is very solid and well designed, compared to my original Gibson tailpiece which had been bending under (medium) string tension...

It wouldn't surprise me if other people discover their original sheet metal tailpieces are bending under string tension, if they examine them closely.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

The James are quite solid. Was he able to get you a tailpiece base?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JTT-2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	205577  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I don't think anyone asked, which loop broke? This photo from Frank Ford's www.frets.com shows how they were meant to be strung when this model tailpiece was invented but many people don't bend the strings and simply run them straight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibsontp.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	205578  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Question Re: Gibson Tailpiece

My Gibson A-50 & A-40 both had 'Cloud' Tailpieces,

You assumed they used only the 12 hook ones, it seems..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

From what I can tell, the screws on the James are thicker and longer. Did you use the Gibson screws or did you have to use a drill to widen the holes for the James?

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    My Gibson A-50 & A-40 both had 'Cloud' Tailpieces,

You assumed they used only the 12 hook ones, it seems..

From the original post:

I have a 2018 Gibson Fern
    You can borrow Mafia money and bet that the OP doesn't have a cloud tailpiece.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

From what I can tell, the screws on the James are thicker and longer. Did you use the Gibson screws or did you have to use a drill to widen the holes for the James?
    Sorry, I forgot the screws were discussed earlier. I don't have a cloud tailpiece. Hope you didn't take Mafia money.