Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy a good quality mandolin in the UK

Default Where to buy a good quality mandolin in the UK

Hi,

I've been playing a few years now and think that I'm ready to invest in a good "pro" quality instrument. New or second hand.

I live in the UK and there really doesn't seem to be too many dealers that offer good quality instruments.

I'm currently playing a Kentucky KM-505 which isn't bad but I'm looking for an upgrade.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bob W

Default Re: Where to buy a good quality mandolin in the UK

Hi Bob
    This question has been asked before! I suppose it depends what you mean by “good quality” and how much you want to spend but as for walking into a shop and coming out with something special, those days have probably gone as far as the UK is concerned. I’m fortunate as I invested in quality instruments before the current dearth hit. If you find somewhere, please let us know.

A 60s Gibson did show up a couple of weeks ago in Bristol but it was serious money. Eagle Music in sunny Yorkshire also had one but, in my mind, it was over-restored and over-priced.
    Ray

Like hen's teeth at the moment.

Maybe I'm missing something, but trying to search the MC classifieds for UK-based instruments brings up a lot of stuff. I can't see a filter for UK-only.

Otherwise, Reverb had a couple of possibles but for the kind of money they were asking, you'd want to try before you buy. There was a Gibson in Manchester but's disappeared now.

A nice sounding Eastman 814v in Edinburgh went up by £400 in 2022 since I tried it in 2019 without even leaving the shop.
    They promised me they would change the strings for next time.
    Bren

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Whitehouse View Post
    Hi,

I've been playing a few years now and think that I'm ready to invest in a good "pro" quality instrument…
    Me too. Here’s something-
    https://hobgoblin.com/ashbury-inishm...op-2-years-old

Bob,

I agree with some of the others in that is now extremely unlikely that you will find a “pro level” used mandolin in a Uk music shop and even if you did it would probably be well overpriced as it would likely be there on consignment.

I think your best idea is to place an ad in the wanted section of the cafe every couple of months saying in general terms what you’re looking for and giving a rough idea of how much you would spend. You should specify that you are in the Uk and approximately where and that you are looking for a Uk seller given the Brexit and CITES complications that now exist.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Still a mandolin fighter Mandophyte's Avatar

Rob,
    Have a look on Gumtree.
    John

Social Groups: FFcP, A Song-a-Week
    ABC. Notation for the tabophobic: ABC intro, ABCexplorer, Making Music with ABC Plus by Guido Gonzato.
    FFcP: Just do it! (Any genre, (Honest!) just ignore the jazz references.)
    Eastman 604, 2007 | Thomas Buchanan Octave Mandolin, 2010

There are some good instrument makers in the UK.
    Depending on price and location, you might check some out. I have no or very little experience of many of these, but it's interesting to see what people are doing. Here are the builders on the UK section of Mandolin Cafe's current list.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin...search=Kingdom

Perhaps a trip to Ireland?

https://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin...search=ireland
    David A. Gordon

I suspect that the UK list is somewhat inaccurate/out of date and needs to be read with caution. To take three examples; Crafter - a UK “builder”, really? Gremlin - didn’t they go out of business over a decade ago? The link takes hou to the US version of Hobgoblin - NK Forster - great instruments but he moved to a Australia several years ago. There are probably others.

There is Paul Shippey and Phil Davidson but I don't have any contact details.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Hi Trevor, hope you are well - you’re being sorely missed! Both of them are on the list but neither appears to have anything “off the peg” for sale at the moment so it’s a case of ordering, waiting and not knowing if you’ll like it when it’s finished. Ray

Good point Ray.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Juat a thought, how about this one - https://hobgoblin.com/jiri-lebeda-a5...in-prague-1996

Been through this loop myself and settled on Eastman again while I lie in wait for something on Reverb or Gumtree if you are lucky.
    Collings were the most helpful and have certain dealers (marked with a star) who will ship internationally. You can see inventory online.
    There is also The Fellowship of Acoustics in the Netherlands who are the main importers for Collings but most of their stock is already sold.

I decided in the end to get an Eastman locally as cba to go down the import with VAT +2% sight unseen route.
    If you follow up the Reverb ads it should point you to some dealers in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    I suspect that the UK list is somewhat inaccurate/out of date and needs to be read with caution. To take three examples; Crafter - a UK “builder”, really? Gremlin - didn’t they go out of business over a decade ago? The link takes hou to the US version of Hobgoblin - NK Forster - great instruments but he moved to a Australia several years ago. There are probably others.
    Yes, that's true, but still, it gives a starting point which might lead to something.
    Also - the road runs both ways, as they say - there are probably some newer builders who are not on these lists yet. I'm thinking particularly of JJ Ryan in Glasgow who looks to have some very nice instruments, but I haven't tried them.

The problem of trying out an instrument is indeed difficult, but if you live somewhere near any of these builders, you might (with a bit of detective work and charm) manage to find someone who already has one who might let you have a go on theirs. Who knows?

Meanwhile here are some videos from JJ Ryan's Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/jjryanmandolins/videos
    David A. Gordon

15. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Hi Dagger - those JJ Ryan mandolins look and sound very nice in the videos. Never heard of them before, so thanks for mentioning them.

17. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

Blog Entries

Phil Davidson 98 Ruspidge Road, Cinderford, GL14 3AE, England 01594 826848 https://www.davidsoninstruments.com/
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

<Removed by Moderator, posting guidelines. Perhaps a PM?>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jan-19-2023 at 5:20pm.

Hello, I sent you a personal message as I have a couple for sale.

Many thanks for all your suggestions - I will follow them up. Whatever I buy next, I will certainly want to have a good look at and play

It also may help a bit to know what style of music you play. I would check out Nigel Forster’s work though I have never played his mandolins (I am in the US).
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

As Bob plays a carved top, F holed, mandolin, I assume that’s the sort of thing he’s looking for; irrespective of musical style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    As Bob plays a carved top, F holed, mandolin, I assume that’s the sort of thing he’s looking for; irrespective of musical style.
    -another assumption.
    The starter mandolin for most people wasn’t their first choice.

I have no idea what this site is like, but it may be worth a look....

https://johnalveyturner.co.uk/mandolins/

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    -another assumption.
    ..... to state the obvious - I did say I assume!

If I were in the market for an Aston Martin or a Lamborghini or even a Rolls Royce, I know where I could buy one within cycling distance but not a decent mandolin without getting on a boat or an aircraft.

I don't think anyone would regret going to Hobgoblins in London. You can obviously check out what they have in various stores online, but its like walking in to a magic den of instruments. I remember a wall of mandolins, but am not qualified to say if you'd find what you want. You might buy something else, though....
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

28. The following members say thank you to Tim N for this post: