Thread: Homa Mandolin Classic

Default Homa Mandolin Classic

I want to have a classical mandolin for a time now but those with higher quality don't come in cheap. So I was looking to get a used one and stumbled over this little thing here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homa1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	262.1 KB 
ID:	205552

Name:	homa2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	205553

Name:	homa3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	289.6 KB 
ID:	205554

Name:	homa4.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	259.5 KB 
ID:	205555

But for the life of me I can't find a single result for "homa mandolin". I even tried translating it to japanese and search on the japanese search engines.

Do any of you know this brand?
    And what do you think about the general condition of it? (as far as these few pictures can tell).
    They would charge around 100USD for it.

Default Re: Homa Mandolin Classic

When searching for mandolin brands I usually try guitar since many companies often made a lot more guitars than mandolins.

Here's one guitar: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125518784335

Here's another guitar from that brand circa 1975. https://reverb.com/item/34656227

And yet another example: https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.c...723&start=1110

The mandolin sort of resembles Suzuki bowlbacks but with some differences. Either it was made by Suzuki, who made the bowlbacks during that period with other brand names, or it was a copy of that style.

The condition looks good but if it is anything like the Suzuki mandolins of that period it will not be the best sounding. They were overbuilt so in this case you may need to use heavier strings than usually recommended for vintage bowlbacks.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

slepa 

Thanks for your reply, Jim!
    I also got a little insight on the sound of a Suzuki M30. I really must say my F-Style Mando sounds much nicer to me.
    Seems like this bowlback got a rather tinny sound. Everything sounds so high.
    I wish for more volume and depth and base, more sustain, if that makes any sense.

Guess I'll have to try one IRL befor buying a used one.

For what it's worth, I have an old violin bow stamped HOMA, made in Germany probably c. 1930. Apparently Homa was a brand of the Hoyer workshop in Markneukirchen (whence the name). The mandolin looks much more recent than that, and likely Japanese. So perhaps it's another case of an old brand name being recycled for use on unrelated wares from unrelated manufacturers. I wonder if Martin Jonas could shed any light.

Slepa: sounds like a bowlback may not be the instrument for you. It's always best to try a bunch of mandolins before choosing the one you want to take home. Good luck!