Thread: Two Questions

Default Two Questions

Hi All:

I’ve decided to woodshed for a while and I have 2 questions:

Playing a Rover entry level and want to upgrade. I want a radiused fretboard and a wide neck. Budget is $1500.00.

Also looking for instruction in Northern NJ.

Thanks in advice for the forthcoming advice.

Ron

Default Re: Two Questions

Eastman 615 would be a hair more than that, a 515 might work also. They have radiused fingerboards. Check around for used Eastmans like those. Also keep your eyes on the classifieds here, neat things come up all of the time.

Eastmans tend to have narrower necks, closer to the old Gibson specs. They can be amazing instruments, but not wide necks. At that price point check with Ken Ratcliff of Silverangel. His standard is 1’ 1/8”, but he’s been willing to work with folks in the past. Also, any mandolin of his will blow your mind compared to your Rover. Collings MTs used to reside at this price point but have escalated. I kept my SA over a very good Sheraton Brown MT I got in a trade and had for a few months. Ken’s kept his prices down somehow and continues to put out awesome mandolins. Reach out to him.

NFI. I’m a former Econo owner who wishes he’d held onto his. Sold mine in a combo upgrade (Kelley A-5) and housing downsize move…love the Kelley (and it was an upgrade compared to my 2009 SA), but do miss the SA from time to time. It would be an unbelievable “beater” (that I wouldn’t beat) to have around.
    Chuck

Also touch base with Sonny Morris in your price range. I haven’t seen any wide neck but he definitely does radius and his sound and setup are great. (One in classifieds now, NFI)

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Plenty of mandos in that range with radius fretboards. I don't know about wide nut.

If I were spending $1500 on a mandolin and buying new, I'd get an Eastman 515/v.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

6. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

I always enjoy swinging by Lark St Music when I'm passing through NJ (NFI). They typically have a variety of interesting options & it's certainly best to be able to try before you buy. I would also suggest you give flat boards and regular nuts a chance- you might find that you adjust after a little while & it's not a big deal. Good luck in your search!
    2004 Gibson F5 Alan Bibey Signature Series
    c1930 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO 305
    2017 RAG F #29
    Kay A
    NoName "finish it yourself" Ebay beater F

Seconded on going to a store to try multiple mandos out. Besides being helpful in deciding, it's a good bit of fun.

Watch the classifieds here and check with retailers (Mando Mutt, The Mandolin Store)...many times that $1500 will get you a nice used instrument, far exceeding what you can get for 1500 bucks worth of new import.

Additionally, when you cannot locate a suitable instructor in your area, the innernet offers a bounty of possibilities.
    too many strings