Thread: Happy Birthday Django!!!

Blog Entries

Default Happy Birthday Django!!!

-- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Happy Birthday Django!!!

Yeah, I was reminded of this fact by someone reaching into my life as if from the Dead. Somehow I got a facebook post from Jerry Garcia, someone who knew a thing or two (million) about the guitar, and music in general:

“I have all of Django’s records. Every single one of them,” Garcia proudly said. “Most of what he plays is even hard to understand no matter how hard I’ve listened to it. In terms of the actual technical how it’s happening, because I listen to it and I hear when a note is being struck and when a note is being articulated with the left hand, and he’s doing things where I don’t know how he’s doing them!”

“I can’t imagine. Either he has fingers half a mile long or… I just don’t know how he’s doing it,” Garcia continues. “And this is with a [messed]-up left hand. He’s able to cross his fingers over this way. He’s able to do runs where this finger crosses this finger over here. That much I’ve figured out because there are things he plays that work that way, and you couldn’t do it any other way. There’s no other way to do them.”

“They’re lightning fast too, and his technique is awesome,” Garcia enthused. “Even today, nobody has really come to the state that he was playing at. As good as players are, they haven’t gotten to where he is. There are a lot of guys that play fast and a lot of guys that play clean, and the guitar has come a long way as far as speed and clarity go, but nobody plays with the whole fullness of expression that Django has.”

“I mean, the combination of incredible speed – all the speed you could possibly want – but also the thing of every note having a specific personality. It’s just something… you don’t hear it. I haven’t really heard it anywhere but with Django.”

Personally, I wish he'd applied his skills to the mandolin. He might have made something of himself.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

The words "musicality" and "Django Reinhardt" are interchangeable. I don't think there is a guitar player on the scene for the last 50 years who hadn't at least heard some of his playing, let alone be either somewhat or entirely influenced by him. I recall a Larry Coryell Phillp Catherine album where they pay homage to "the Master" with an improvised acoustic guitar duet version of "Nuages".
    What I would have liked to have heard is Django, Stephan and Dave Apollon.
    Some of my favorites are "Anoumen (recorded by David Grisman quintet on Mondo-Mando") "My Serenade" (also recorded by acoustic duet Larry Coryell and Phillip Catherine) and "Manor De Mes Reves" which I am trying to play the chord changes on mandola, begging the Master's pardon.
    I remember a story one of his sons told where he was playing a record for Django in his elder years and Django said - "Hey this guy is pretty good", it was of course one of his earlier recordings.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Wiki -incorrect date entries
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Reinhardt

Django lives!

Django is absolutely my idol and hero. I messed up my left hand badly in a momentary burst of stupidity in a woodworking shop in 1995, Django was the one who showed me I could still have a chance to play again. Without his example I would probably have given up playing music altogether.

Happy 113th birthday Django. May there be many more.

7. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Wiki -incorrect date entries
    Eh? Dates of birth and death 1/23/1910 - 5/16/1953 reported consistently at five sites.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!