Thread: Stefan Sobell Mandolin

Default Stefan Sobell Mandolin

Hi everyone
    My wife has inherited her late fathers Mandolin. It is an early 80's Sobell.
    I emailed Stefan and he stated it is a very early 10 string mandolin, Indian rosewood and Western red cedar.
    We were just wondering where or how we could get it valued.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4640.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	745.6 KB 
ID:	205710
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4642.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	496.1 KB 
ID:	205711

Default Re: Stefan Sobell Mandolin

That’s a beauty! I imagine you could get it appraised by Gryphon Strings or The Music Emporium or another well respected shop. What part of the country/world are you in? I have an early 80s 10 string cittern (the larger sibling to your instrument) that I feel very lucky to have.

Happy picking
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

I remember visiting Elderly back then and they had quite a few Sobell instruments. In fact they may have been his main US retailer. I don’t recall seeing any in NEw York area stores.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

There is a e string Sobell that looks very similar to yours that just hit the classifieds...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/199269#199269

Weber is a very well known and respected name in the mandolin world.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

As a side note, Nigel Forster is a maker who studied with Stefan Sobell.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

The best Sobell authority in the US was Brian Wolfe at Acousticmusic.org. He has sadly retired. (Although he’s quite happy, personally, with his much deserved free time).

Contact Ian at The Music Emporium. The earlier ones are a little harder to sell, and the values are a bit lower than the more contemporary specimens.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

8. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

That is exactly like my Sobell - a 10 string cedar/rosewood from the early eighties.

Where are you, and are you trying to sell it or just get it valued?

Stefan Sobell himself does an 'Available Now' service on his website which usually (though not right now, as it happens) features instruments made by him which people are trying to sell - usually because the original owner has passed on or is no longer playing it, and he advertises it for sale on their behalf. Your situation is by no means unusual. I must say it is very good of him to do this.
    I see you have been in touch with him. Perhaps you should ask him about this.

https://www.sobellguitars.com/available-now/
    David A. Gordon

HI, thanks everyone for the responses. We live in west wales. Initially we were just looking at its value really. My wife (Leanne) wants to keep it as it has a close sentimental value.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    That is exactly like my Sobell - a 10 string cedar/rosewood from the early eighties.

Where are you, and are you trying to sell it or just get it valued?

Stefan Sobell himself does an 'Available Now' service on his website which usually (though not right now, as it happens) features instruments made by him which people are trying to sell - usually because the original owner has passed on or is no longer playing it, and he advertises it for sale on their behalf. Your situation is by no means unusual. I must say it is very good of him to do this.
    I see you have been in touch with him. Perhaps you should ask him about this.

https://www.sobellguitars.com/available-now/

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aardwerc For This Useful Post:

Hi,

Assuming it’s got no issues, I would value it between £4-5k. If you were to sell it through Stefan and he had given it his seal of approval probably more.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

It’s a beautiful and valuable instrument. Why is it unstrung and where is the bridge? Please hie thee to a luthier, get it checked out, restrung and set up for optimal playing. The thng you want to have assessed is, were the strings removed because there is a structural repair needed? (A wise practice if so, but don’t lose that bridge!) These are very basic operations that you might spend a few dozen quid on, which is trivial compared to the value of the instrument. I’m glad the new owner is planning to keep it and play it. What a starter! First and last ever needed. (Unless she gets right into Mando and needs a cheaper one to take to festival campgrounds and sodg6 pub sessions.

That case is not adequate for the valuable cargo. Plan to get a prope, hard shell, form -fitting one soon, meanwhile, I’d suggest wrapping the instrument in a baby quilt or something like that while it’s inside the case. It’s amazing and distressing how much damage happens bumping around inside a cheap case. If there’s any broken or worn out hinges, latches or other hardware, they will find a way to rub against that beautiful finish.

What a great inheritance.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

14. The following members say thank you to Bill Cameron for this post:

If it were mine, I’d spend a few days touring Hadrian’s Wall and take it with me. Stefan lives/works just outside Hexham and I’m sure he’d be more than happy to look it over.