Thread: Transducer for Mandolin by 'the Realist'

Default Transducer for Mandolin by 'the Realist'

Discovered this just today and thought it might be of interest here:

https://realistacoustic.com/realist_...?type=mandolin

Default Re: Transducer for Mandolin by 'the Realist'

They are saying their piezo sounds better than other piezo's, and doesn't need a preamp. A piezo is a piezo is a piezo, and they need a preamp unless you plug into an amp with a hiZ input. A lot of hype here.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

It may be the best thing since sliced white bread. And at $245 it better be. But I've never heard any piezo/transducer that didn't need a preamp, whether it was a six string, upright bass, or mandolin. I think I'll stay with my $38 stick-on and the Nocturne preamp that I already own.

It takes some clicking on that site to find a picture of the product itself. A concern I have about it is that the transducer goes under the treble side of the bridge foot. If the foot is properly fitted to the top before installing the pickup, then the pickup is going to change that fit and not for the better. Even if it is only a tiny bit, that has got to affect the acoustic tone. With all the good options out there that don't do that, why would you? Also, for that price, you could get a decent piezo and a decent preamp.

i agree with pops1 im not a fan of the piezo but some people are looking for a different sound these days......and for that price ya could get an at 350 that sounds 10 times better

I've used most of the different Realist pickups; they have been common in the bass & cello world for decades. The thin film copper element under the bridge fool actually helps the voice with some instruments. You can use it under either side. Some folks I know swear by them. You never really know what one is the best option for your setup & playing without giving it a try. We are lucky to have so many choices.

I'd rather have a mid quality pickup combined with a great pre amp than an expensive pickup with a mediocre or no preamp.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Am I the only person in the world who uses an Audio Technica Pro35 from my mando into a mixer into a good acoustic amp or PA with wondrous results?
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

i thought i was the only one who used an A.T. 350 WITH AN L.R BAGGS VENUE WITH A NADY PHANTOM POWER SUPPLY AND A DPA VIOLIN CLIP NEVER HAD A PROBLEM OVER A COUPLE YEARS OF PLAYING AS MUCH AS 4 0R 5 TIMES A WEEK. IT IS QUITE WONDEROUS. I DONT GET THESE PROFESSIONALS TRYING TO CHEAP OUT ......SPEND THE MONEY AND SOUND GREAT.

9. The following members say thank you to jherm for this post: