Thread: Mahogany/maple combinaion

Default Mahogany/maple combinaion

Has anyone ever tried to combine a mahogany top with a maple back and sides or heard of an instrument like that? If so, what does it sound like? And if not, why not? Is that obvious that the combination wouldn't work?

Default Re: Mahogany/maple combinaion

Mahogany is a hardwood, mandolin tops are usually spruce or other softwoods.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

3. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

I have not.
    Are you thinking flat top or carved arch top?
    Mahogany is a well known top wood, but outside of some ukuleles and my nice Santa Cruz guitar I don't have experience with it as a sound board.

5. The following members say thank you to Eric Oliver for this post:

I've never seen a mahogany top on a mandolin, but it would surely make music. However, it would sound quite different.

My guess is the differences would be similar to those on all mahogany guitars - more emphasis on the mids, distinctly less treble.

Mahogany works nicely for ukuleles, which are pitched lower than mandolins at the top end, but they tend to sound mellow. They lose the higher overtones. I've made spruce-topped soprano mandolins, and they can sound pretty shrill.

Mandolins, though, are known for their high end sparkle, not mellowness. I suspect you'd get something which sounded sweet played solo, but disappeared when played with other instruments. If I'm playing soprano uke with guitars, I need to focus on the upper end of the fretboard to cut through.

7. The following members say thank you to ProfChris for this post:

Thank you for the replies so far! I didn't mean for mandolin necessarily, just in general. Was wondering about it due to my Martin all mahogany tenor guitar. Apparently there hqve been mahogany mandolins, which I,reqd on one of the forums on here, but unfortunately never heard one. Could be interesting for;playing at home.