Thread: Unknown mandolin player on the BART to Glen Park

Default Unknown mandolin player on the BART to Glen Park

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2122.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	1,015.3 KB 
ID:	205776

Our correspondent Vernon Dale Francis Humphrey sent in this photo from the daily commute. Looks like a Kentucky, and I think that is a pretty nice carrying case on his back.

Strangely enough, we have identified the commuter on the right. Somebody in Chattanooga TN recognized him. The mandolin player is still unidentified.

Default Re: Unknown mandolin player on the BART to Glen Park

Did your friend listen to the mandolin player? Talk to him? Ask his permission to shoot a photo and post it on the internet? I hope so.

If he just snapped a shot from a moving train, I'll be hoping this player can remain anonymous.

Name:	EAF0E7D0-C81F-4E6B-ACC8-AC43944656BB.jpeg 
Views:	159 
Size:	338.6 KB 
ID:	205795

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    Did your friend listen to the mandolin player? Talk to him? Ask his permission to shoot a photo and post it on the internet? I hope so.

If he just snapped a shot from a moving train, I'll be hoping this player can remain anonymous.
    Bruce, I'm pretty sure he has no right to privacy in a public place on public transportation. With that said, hopefully the people around him enjoyed his playing.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post

Name:	EAF0E7D0-C81F-4E6B-ACC8-AC43944656BB.jpeg 
Views:	159 
Size:	338.6 KB 
ID:	205795
    And, how does relate to the thread?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Bruce, I'm pretty sure he has no right to privacy in a public place
    Yeah, I know that, Mike. It just seems invasive to post the shot unless the player agreed to it. And I'd have been glad to hear something about how he sounded.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    And, how does relate to the thread?
    Looks like the shirt the other guy is wearing. But yes, a bit of explanation is good protocol.

Interesting that he was identified even with a mask, but the mandolinist was not, though fully visible. But then, mandolins and their players are so often overlooked.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

The guy in the mask is actually a FedEx delivery man and has just delivered the mandolin to the player beside him (note that the Fed Ex box at his feet is opened) and had then taken the obligatory photo to prove he had delivered it to the correct location. The player is just testing it out now to ensure there are no immediate problems resulting from the delivery.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Intriguing hypothesis. It causes some discrepancies, however:

1) The alleged FedEx delivery man is out of uniform. Well-dressed, but still ... ;
    2) The box isn't quite big enough, unless the mandolin were shipped in two pieces and then assembled;
    3) The determination of a delivery address for a recipient on a moving train would be, ah, problematic.

I know, I am SUCH a killjoy. It's something I've learned to live with. Barely ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    The guy in the mask is actually a FedEx delivery man and has just delivered the mandolin to the player beside him (note that the Fed Ex box at his feet is opened) and had then taken the obligatory photo to prove he had delivered it to the correct location. The player is just testing it out now to ensure there are no immediate problems resulting from the delivery.
    Nice narrative John.
    Ok, free association time.

Fat fingers plays Ragtime banjo though his bandmates would rather he played Bluegrass bass.
    He’s also the manager and is texting to say that their new repertoire has arrived, find out more about the poster and ask if the others can bring a proper pair of shoes for the mandolinist.
    Last edited by Simon DS; Jan-28-2023 at 6:38am.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon DS For This Useful Post:

I'm pretty sure I saw that commuter on the right at a local pub here last November:
    https://ledzepnews.com/2022/11/09/ro...t-in-scotland/
    Bren

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bren For This Useful Post:

Or: was he really a random commuter, or a Plant?
    Bren

So at this point we'll just consider my friend and I fugitives, okay?

Not only does the guy not have any expectation of privacy, he is actually committing a misdemeanor offense by buskering without a permit. At least I assume. However, since no money is changing hands, the authorities probably don't have much interest.

I'm thinking that if you are the sort of person who takes out your mandolin on the subway and starts whacking away at it you might not be the shy and retiring sort. If the mandolinist does in fact turn out to be fatally shy I am posting this picture to /r/tooktomuch.

My friend is not a mandolinist nor a musician. He did not recognize the piece and stated that it sounded "asiatic". I castigated him for not taking a video. The description just whetted my appetite for the music.

If I'm out in public doing something, such as making music, that brings attention to myself, I don't expect privacy -- especially in the 21st century when nearly everyone carries an easy-to-use camera, and a great many post to the internet. I've found myself online in others' videos and photos. If I were in your place, I wouldn't worry about posting the video. If the mandolin man's hiding from anyone, he's going about it the wrong way. It's many years since I've been to an event where I was told "no recording" let alone "no photographs." (By the way, I've demonstrated my mandolin to curious children while travelling on the transit system.) Thanks for the picture, Rod.
    Last edited by Ranald; Jan-28-2023 at 9:21pm.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

20. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Blog Entries

There have been a few times over the years when I have considered playing some while in some sort of public transportation - trains or buses, but never on a plane - and fewer still when I've actually done so. I'm a bit shy, and would rather not call attention to myself - nor bother anyone, for that matter. Not everyone wants to hear music not of their choosing, even if it a rare and special occurrence. My most memorable experience was a couple of years at an airport waiting area, to which I was the first to arrive thanks to a longish time between connecting flights. The gate slowly filled up, and at some point someone started playing music pretty loud on her phone - annoying repetitive music it was, too. I thought about saying something, but I'm not the type to impose on others. So after I'd had enough, I started playing some, instrumentals of various genres. I don't think it made her stop, not for a while, anyway, but at least what I was playing was easier on the ears. I got a few compliments too.

And yes, I too believe that someone playing an instrument in a situation like this has surrendered his/her rights to privacy. People taking photos and videos of strangers has become commonplace. And people post all kinds of stuff on the web, very little of it with the subject's approval. If you don't want that to happen, don't do anything noteworthy. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by RodCH View Post
    So at this point we'll just consider my friend and I fugitives, okay?

Not only does the guy not have any expectation of privacy, he is actually committing a misdemeanor offense by buskering without a permit. At least I assume. However, since no money is changing hands, the authorities probably don't have much interest.
    As long as there’s explicit or implicit request for money, it’s not busking. I did a little busking as a street juggler when I was younger and, as long as you’re not blocking foot traffic, performing in public is legal until you pass the hat. I never got busted but there were a couple performances that ended up just being rehearsals
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

Blog Entries

I'm sure you meant to say, "As long as there’s no explicit or implicit request for money, it’s not busking." Little things mean a lot, as they say.

And it's true. Interdictions address acts of intended commerce, not performance. In this instance, if the player had put his case on the floor, open to catch any donations, that would have been busking. Since it is on his back, that obviates any such intent, so he is free and clear of any untoward allegations.

24. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    Or: was he really a random commuter, or a Plant?
    Well, maybe, but that's not the sort he usually plays (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35957976).

Name:	rpmando.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	205801

Mandolin: £1800 sold + 25% commissions?
    They should have done it through Zoom on MandolinCafe
    All join in the fun.

27. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by RodCH View Post
    My friend is not a mandolinist nor a musician. He did not recognize the piece and stated that it sounded "asiatic". I castigated him for not taking a video. The description just whetted my appetite for the music.
    Thanks for giving the background, Rod. From your title I was thinking he was sitting on the platform; now I see he's on the train. Looks like he's sitting quietly on a noisy train, not busking or working the crowd— but of course I wasn't there. In any case I'm glad your friend didn't shoot video. I see a big difference between playing quietly for half a dozen people in an informal setting, and the posting on line of a video that could get 50 million "monetized" views by a photographer who never asked permission. And this can happen nowadays.

So no cause for complaint in this case.