Thread: Kentucky KM1500 Tuning Pegs

Default Kentucky KM1500 Tuning Pegs

Hi everyone! I am the proud owner of a beautiful Kentucky KM1500, but I have run into a small problem. One of the buttons on the tuning pegs broke, and I want to buy a replacement set of tuners.

This seemed like an easy enough task at first.

I live in Spain, so I ordered a set of Grover F-style tuners from the big online retailer in Europe, Thomann. I got a call a call from my luthier after I dropped them off -- it turns out that the tuners are not LONG ENOUGH! The dimensions of the headstock on the Kentucky rule out the tuning pegs that are available on Thomann.

I read on a thread somewhere that Kentucky uses Gotoh tuners, but these are proving difficult to come by on this side of the pond.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? I would really love to get my mandolin all fixed up, and I had no idea how hard it was going to be to find replacement tuners.

So two questions really:

1) Does anyone know what tuners will DEFINITELY be compatible with the Kentucky?

AND

2) Do you know of anywhere in Europe that carries said tuners and ships to Spain?

Thanks in advance!

David

Default Re: Kentucky KM1500 Tuning Pegs

Pictures are good. Chances are they are Gotoh tuners or possibly Saga's copy of Gotoh tuners. Post a picture of the tuners so we can see if they are worm over or worm under.

There are places here in the US that sell Gotoh tuners. We also need to know what color they are, silver or gold.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

They probably look like these. As far as a source you could contact Gotoh on their website.

https://g-gotoh.com/product/mf40/?lang=en

Note, these are gold and worm over. You might need worm under in nickel. The dimensions are on the website.

Here is the link to the worm under tuners.

https://g-gotoh.com/product/mf40r/?lang=en
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MF40-GG-MP-1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	295.5 KB 
ID:	205794  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Blog Entries

I used to own a Kentucky KM-1000 for a long time ago, and I don't know if the Kentucky early model tuner was Gotoh or Saga. Even if your tuner is Gotoh, the button and screw standards have changed over the years. I heard that they don't sell button-only replacement parts to general users because they can't provide optimal buttons. So it seems that if the button is broken, the whole tuner will have to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    They probably look like these. As far as a source you could contact Gotoh on their website.

https://g-gotoh.com/product/mf40/?lang=en

Note, these are gold and worm over. You might need worm under in nickel. The dimensions are on the website.

Here is the link to the worm under tuners.

https://g-gotoh.com/product/mf40r/?lang=en
    Sorry, I should have mentioned those details. They are GOLD, and worm UNDER. I will upload a picture later today.

Thanks for the feedback!

If the buttons are pearl like they were on a KM1500 I had, and you have all the pieces you can super glue the button back together. I had to do it on two of them.
    If you can get the fresh thin consistency super glue it works the best. Reassemble the button and then apply the glue with the tip of a needle or staightened paper clip.
    Let the glue flow into all the cracks and you should be good to go. Both of the buttons I repaired are still sound and working.

Good luck, Marek

Internet pics of the Kentucky KM1500 show what look like tuning machines with buttons retained with screws. There is no reason to completely replace the tuning machines when all you need is a new button! There are many sources for replacement buttons - you just need to know what tuning machines you have to get buttons that will fit. They are NOT interchangeable between brands.

Also, I have done what Marek suggests above - remove the broken button, glue it back together (i use epoxy), let the glue fully cure, then put the button back on.

If the tuners are genuine Gotoh and the peg posts are square on the end then they will work with the Waverly buttons sold by Stewmac. If the ends have two flats and two oval ends then you will need to measure them with a set of digital calipers or you wont know if they are Gotoh or the fake Gotoh clones that Saga had made a few years ago. Nobody I know sells the buttons but some folks have extras laying around for both sizes (the genuine and the fake) of the newer shape.

One exception, if they are genuine new Gotohs and you want genuine mother-of-pearl buttons there was a seller on e-bay selling them. I haven't looked for him for a few years.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

9. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post: