Thread: Found Finally: Jethro Class Photo 1983

Default Found Finally: Jethro Class Photo 1983

This has been driving me insane for probably way over a decade. In the fondly remembered week of a the one and only class with Jethro offered at Augusta Heritage Arts workshop in 1983, we took a class photo with most of the class members with mandolins playing the Jethro demented chord. For all this time I could not find this photo and I asked a few people here, Lorraine Duisit and even contacted the administration office at Augusta to find the photographer's name but nothing ever showed up. Quite a few of us bought the print but for some reason no one could find their copy.

We are doing a lot of home renovations right now so have been going through lots of boxes of stuff to throw out and I found the photo. I took a rather quick and not ideal snapshot with my cell phone through the picture frame so it has a bit of reflection but will try to do a good scan sometime soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jethro83Group2BW.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	708.5 KB 
ID:	205793
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Found Finally: Jethro Class Photo 1983

Which one is you, Jim?
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Seated 2nd from the right, moustached,with my black A-2 snakehead.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I recognize Loraine and of course Jethro, but no one else. I'd be surprised if there aren't more people that I know (or knew) in that photo, but it was a while back and we all look different now...

Bob Smakula was there, too. He is seated behind and to the left of me. And Ron Mullenex I believe was on staff there teaching banjo, he is all the way to the left in the photo.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Bob Smakula was there, too. He is seated behind and to the left of me. And Ron Mullenex I believe was on staff there teaching banjo, he is all the way to the left in the photo.
    When you posted this I looked at it for about 10 minutes trying to figure out which one was you. Now I see you're the young Ron Jeremy look-alike. Looking good. I should have thought to look for the mandolin. And one other thing, I've been looking at that chord for so many years on your avatar that it looks normal to me now.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

9. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Aha! Finally, a look at this fabled photo. Trying to identify anyone here by squinting through the foggy lens of forty years' worth of living ... Yeah, all I'm getting is Lorraine Duisit (still consider myself fortunate to have seen her in Trapezoid, along with the late, great Freyda Epstein, a year or two before this workshop) and that funny guy with the baseball hat, whose identity escaped me until I recognized the distinctive chord fingering he's displaying. BTW, interesting to note an even distribution of body styles: nine A models, nine F models.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

What an awesome experience and memory, thanks for sharing.
    Lee Hill

Now for my favorite Jim Garber factoid.

It appears Jim got to spend time with two of my boyhood heroes.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I was there that week, taking a class with Loraine (there were six of us in her class). I enjoyed the jams at the Ice House watching Jethro hold court. Fun times indeed!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    I was there that week, taking a class with Loraine (there were six of us in her class). I enjoyed the jams at the Ice House watching Jethro hold court. Fun times indeed!
    Wow, Charley so we probably played together at the Ice House. I had a feeling we crossed paths sometime
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Are you in the picture there, Charley?
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

BTW I realized that that photo was almost 40 years ago.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Are you in the picture there, Charley?
    I am not but I recognize a few of the people in the photograph.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Now for my favorite Jim Garber factoid.

It appears Jim got to spend time with two of my boyhood heroes.
    I tried to at least hang out with the old masters as much as I could back then. I managed Jethro, Roy Smeck, Tiny Moore and also took a three week guitar building class with Wayne Henderson (also at Augusta). I missed Howard Armstrong (Louie Bluie) for some reason.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

19. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

One instrument I remembered was the one pictured below. It is a handmade Kay copy and IIRC the back and sides were koa. I remember it was very interesting but I don't know who made it. It looks almost like the Old Wave headstock inlay but I think possibly not. I should try to do a hi-res scan for details. I wonder if that guy is still around playing.

It would be great to see if we can ID most of these folks. I know that there was a guy here on MC whose screen name was Barney 59 who said he was there too for that class. He may be the guy with the Gibson AJr.

Name:	KayCopy.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	205796
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jan-27-2023 at 11:08pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

21. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    This has been driving me insane for probably way over a decade. In the fondly remembered week of a the one and only class with Jethro offered at Augusta Heritage Arts workshop in 1983, we took a class photo with most of the class members with mandolins playing the Jethro demented chord. For all this time I could not find this photo and I asked a few people here, Lorraine Duisit and even contacted the administration office at Augusta to find the photographer's name but nothing ever showed up. Quite a few of us bought the print but for some reason no one could find their copy.

We are doing a lot of home renovations right now so have been going through lots of boxes of stuff to throw out and I found the photo. I took a rather quick and not ideal snapshot with my cell phone through the picture frame so it has a bit of reflection but will try to do a good scan sometime soon.

Name:	Jethro83Group2BW.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	708.5 KB 
ID:	205793
    Jim, that is a very cool picture. I know you are glad you found it.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Cool find, Jim. Thanks for sharing
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I posted this also on Facebook and got some additional stories and IDs of people in the photo.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: