Thread: Patti Kusturok, fiddler

Default Patti Kusturok, fiddler

Patti Kustorok (a.k.a., Patti Lamoreux), an important and influential fiddler and fiddle teacher from Winnipeg, who I've met a few times, has been mentioned various times on the Forum. Some Cafe members learn tunes from her "365 Days of Fiddling" on YouTube, Facebook etc. Here's some sad news from her, sent out to people at large. I appreciate her straightforward way of telling us about this issue.

Friends,

I am really sad to let you know that tomorrow will be my last day of this year’s Patti Kusturok’s 365 Days of Fiddle Tunes.

What I am about to tell you is heavy and still very new to me. We have a very limited amount of info right now so I will tell you what I know.

This past Tuesday, while in Grande Prairie, I suffered another slip and fall. This time I broke my right arm. A complete fracture of the humerus. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital here and had X-rays done.

An orthopaedic surgeon came and told Brad and I about the break, but also added that there was something concerning in the X-ray. He also said at this time that these concerning spots were often cancer related. The fact that he mentioned that word so freely at this time was extremely troubling. He said we needed to do a CT scan.

What they found was not good news.

They told me that I had several lesions that were cancerous. Not only my arm, but also a rib, my collarbone, a vertebrae, and my skull.

As of right now, I have an appointment on Monday to see my regular doctor who will figure out a plan with us. We know nothing else but I will update here.

I know you’re as shocked as we are. It’s not something that anyone wants to hear.

It’s also very overwhelming so please know that I will be reading every single comment on this post, but please forgive me if you send me private messages and I can’t respond right away.

The doctor did tell me that breaking my arm was probably the best thing that could’ve happened as I wouldn’t have had a reason to be getting an x-Ray. I’ll take it!

I believe my late father-in-law had a hand somehow. We were walking up to the funeral home at the time and he was in a thought I was having at that very moment. 😇

Love, Patti
    ❤️

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ82...=PattiKusturok

Dan Scramstad is on guitar and Jeremy Rusu is on keyboard.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Default Re: Patti Kusturok, fiddler

Prayers for you and your family Patti….
    1988 Flatiron F5 Artist
    2017 Collings D1
    Taylor GS mini hog

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Wow, talk about letting the air out of your tires. Medical science has come a long way in the last few decades. Be patient with your healing. A dear friend went through this a decade ago and she is still playing. It can be done, and you can do it too. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Patti's 365 tune sessions were a great inspiration to me during lockdown.
    My attempt at Teardrop Waltz, posted here a couple of years ago was directly taken from her version.
    In fact I like everything she plays.

I can only wish her all the best.
    Bren

Blog Entries

Patti, you are an inspiration to many of us, even those of us without fiddles. Keep up the battle!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Just to be clear folks, in the OP, I reposted Patti's message from another site to Mandolin Cafe. She's not reading these replies, though I'm sure she'd appreciate your kind thoughts.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

She is a friend on Facebook and definitely one of my favorite fiddlers. This is so sad.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1